Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

Ever had one of those days where you expected one thing, got another and in the end it was totally okay? In a nutshell, that was today.

I woke up to GR talking to his councilors on the phone, saying he wouldn't be at his early morning church meetings and he wasn't sure if/when he'd make it in for church. He'd gotten a migraine and felt sick to his stomach.

GR takes the church program in for me and it magically gets photocopied and folded. Since he wasn't going in, I needed to get it to church earlier than 8:55 when we typically roll in. Anna and I got ready, and just as we left for the church around 7:40, the girls woke up. I asked them to please remind everyone to get dressed for church and eat some breakfast, suggesting that if the boys weren't awake by 8, to wake them up. I would help them finish things up when I got back and we could leave.
Anna and I didn't get back until nearly 8:30 and I was very worried about what I was going to walk into. But I found everyone dressed, shoes on (Alex needed help getting his on) and fed (I have no idea what they ate, because the kitchen looked exactly the same way it did when I left.)



I am so proud of all they did this morning!! The more I think about it the more amazed I am. Our Sunday mornings never go that smoothly! When I told GR about it this afternoon, he was totally clueless. He had no idea I'd left and the children had gotten all ready for church by themselves. Obviously, they did it without fighting or arguing too much, cause he slept through the entire thing.



We spent a quiet afternoon at home playing and baking. The kids & I decided to make Ester Bolick's Orange Maralide Cake for Father's Day. This cake is quite famous in my Mitford Series and in the book I just finished listening too, they give the recipe. The cake was beautiful, and yummy, but as is true with most things, it wasn't quite as good as the book.

** The picture of the kids was Friday's attempt at getting a really good shot for them to send out as a Father's Day remembrance. Sadly, all their willingness to participate got used up picking peas. This frame (only one of four I took in total) was good enough to email the Grandpa's, even though the cards never happened.

1 comment:

suz said...

that cake looks so tasty...