Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Freezer Paper Stenciled Ts

So a few of you asked for more details about the freezer paper stencils I used on the onesies.

There are a couple of crafty mama blogs that have good tutorials:

Celtic Mommy, Angry Chicken and Soule Mama has lots of good inspiration for this project.

I used clipart from Microsoft Office, filled an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper with different designs in varying sizes so I could see what would work best on the onesie, traced it on freezer paper (about $2.50 for a huge roll at the grocery store), cut out the design using a craft knife, and ironed it into position on my onesie. Iron a second piece of freezer paper to inside of the shirt where you are going to paint to keep the paint from bleeding through.

I used regular craft paint - although I saturated the area with paint. I did look at the craft store for a medium you could mix into regular craft paint to make it more permanent for fabrics, but I couldn't find it anywhere and didn't want to buy all new paints when I know they hold up just fine to repeated washes.

So there you have it ... the cutting out of the stencils is what takes ages ... on one blog where they needed to make multiple shirts with the same design, they stacked up the freezer paper and cut multiple stencils at once. Another site said they were reusable. I haven't had a chance to try this out yet, but want to. I think these little onesies would make cute baby gifts paired with a few color coordinated burp cloths.

Good luck ladies - I'd love to see your finished Ts ... wouldn't this make a fun summer craft project with the kids?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thankyou for all the details on the "freezer paper thingys"....

"Mrs. Just Had Baby #5" :)

You are so awesome :)

Lori said...

I think I saw this on Angry Chicken before and have been wanting to try it. Maybe now I will since I've seen your success. Thanks for sharing.