Saturday, July 26, 2008

Finger Licking Good!



Our house smells so good ... the air is thick with the aroma of BBQ and I don't think it's going to go away any time soon.

Today was the ward BBQ contest. After we got home from Sam's party last night and got everyone in bed, the adults in the house set to work preparing for today. My Dad (who came in town to visit my Mom, attend Sam's party, the contest and celebrate Alex's birthday tomorrow) bounced Anna who was wide away for hours last night! - while Mom and I made the BBQ sauce and applied the rub to the ribs. GR and Dime, worked late into the night putting together Dime's smoker and prepping his meat. Saturday they had everything ready to go by 11 so they could be at the park to start smoking their entries by noon.



(Don't you like GR's apron? The apron was a wedding present from a very good friend in college - using freezer paper stenciling the kids and I added the "GR 8 RIBS" - he hee hee - as a little something fun for Papa to have for the contest.)

This years entries ... ribs and chicken ... were oh so tasty! Lots of great cooks and great recipes! Ours didn't even hit the top five - but all those that did, were very deserving! And everyone who sampled our ribs and chicken were quite complimentary (like I said we had stiff competition this year!). Alex really loves this recipe and cleaned three ribs of all their meat with no problem!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a fun tradition. It looks like you put a ton of work into it. And it sounds so yummy. Wish I could talk my ward into a fun tradition like that.

Matthew said...

Looks yummy! Wish I could have been there.