Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Halloween continued...

Kindergarten Fall Party - 2:00


Our school has never done Halloween Parties, only Fall Parties. Basically it means no costumes and many parents like the fact that they don't have to mess with two costumes - the school costume and the tricker-treating costume.

The kids have been learning about spiders and I volunteered to bring the craft project - paper plate spiders - a craft Rebecca did years ago at her first "Fairy Tail Forest" at the Nature Center in Liberty, MO.

We used small black paper plates (I spray painted the bottom of the plate black cause they come white), 9 strips of black construction paper cut 3/4" wide, 2 - 1" circles (I finally found a valid reason to purchase a circle punch!), and a long piece of black yarn. I had the yarn already strung through the 2 holes I punched in the plate, and the rest of their supplies were put in baggies to make distribution easier. They did a great job and had already practiced the fan or accordian fold earlier in the day when they made spider hats - the little guy next to Rebecca in the bottom picture is wearing his - they were super cute.

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I don't understand why they would need two costumes. Maybe I'm just being daft.

Kate said...

Schools usually won't allow all the scary costumes (Zombies, Freddie Kruger, etc.) that some of the "older" children want to be in the slightly higher elementary grades. That's not anything we got into because of the church guidelines, but outside that circle, they are very popular. Or maybe the costume they want to wear tricker treating is too cumbersome for a classroom party, so they wear something else.