Today has been costume collection day…
Rebecca
We went through lots and lots of “I wanna be _____” before Rebecca finally settled on a KU Cheerleader, three weeks before Halloween. GR and I checked all the large department stores, then the local sporting good stores, before looking online and calling the University bookstore. Online the outfits had a $30 price range! Add to that the wait time and shipping costs and we opted for the local bookstore. On the morning of the 17th I called and they had one left in her size which I asked for them to hold. The plan was to pick it up while the girls were in school.
That morning I put Sam in “big boy” underwear – we’d had two successful trips to the potty and I opted to keep him in his underwear for this jaunt to preschool and campus. Unfortunately while I was picking which pose of Emily’s school picture to purchase, we had a little accident. Here’s the huge difference between boys and girls. With girls, there would have been a huge puddle, shoes would have been soaked, etc. With Sam, just a small softball size wet spot on his shorts… no running down the leg, etc.
I took off his wet clothes and put him in a pull-up I had stashed in my purse and off we went to the bookstore… “I’m a Little Pepper” t-shirt, pull-up and sneakers. It simply wasn’t worth the gas or the time to go home and get him a new pair of shorts to wear.
He was too cute walking onto campus without any reservations. Totally confident and wanting to do things on his own. One guy tried to hold a door open for us, and Sam told him, “Mine!” I tried to explain, but how to you explain it to a 19 year old in 5 words of less so they really understand – you can’t. But Sam did it, he opened and held open each of the doors we went through for me. On the way in we got some odd looks from students, but on the way out, all he got were comments about the awesome shirt he was wearing (thanks Ezra!).
Becca’s outfit fits her perfectly – I was a little concerned she wouldn’t like it because the skirt wasn’t pleated, but she was ultimately happy with it and it looks so cute on her!
Emily
Emily has been very set on being Tinkerbell. The same night we went looking for cheerleading outfits, we looked at Tinkerbell costumes. The ones we saw weren’t the right size and just weren’t “fairy princess” enough. We looked at the patterns and had the same problem – they were really disappointing. So I spent quite a bit of time over the weekend looking online and watching auctions on eBay. We’d gotten a Disney Store Catalog with the perfect costume, but were concerned about sizing and getting it here in time for a couple early Halloween parties.
I found lots of Disney Store Tinkerbell costumes on eBay, and was watching 3 or 4 auctions all at once that were getting ready to end Monday night. All of them kept getting higher and higher and higher until I finally called GR… he called the store at the mall and they had everything we wanted. After work he went and picked up the outfit, wings and shoes – he called me from the road and said “I love my daughter very much.” “Yes, dear I know you do – what are you doing?” “I’m driving to
Thankfully it wasn’t missed, and Emily’s face was pure delight when she opened up the bag and tried on her costume. The entire ensemble was perfect and she beamed each and every time she put it on.
Sam
Side note on Sam's costume. We looked at purchasing one of those too, but none of them looked right. Most were Thomas the Train costumes that looked more like Thomas PJs than a Train costume. And Sam wanted to be a choo choo because he likes trains, not because he's obsessed with Thomas. So that's why we spent time and made his costume.
No comments:
Post a Comment