Sunday, March 13, 2011

A couple of months ago GR ordered Faith in God posters for the girls.  Their arrival was quite timely.  They were shipped MONTHS after he ordered them, but arrived a week or so after an exhausting showdown, parent/child discussion about working on completing Faith in God goals, that went from hours to days in length.  

To make a lengthy story that does not make all parties involved look their best, our approach of "Please choose a goal from Y category and work on it in the four hours you have before church." did not yield the results we were hoping for.  In the days that followed, it was clear to me that if I wanted my girls to work on the goals in Y category ... that were "boring" ... I had to come up with ways to make them exciting, interesting and engaging in a way that will encourage and motivate the girls to willingly fulfill them.  

GR and I are hoping that these posters will work along with other strategies to help the girls take responsibility and accountability for completing their Faith in God requirements.   


Two houses ago, I found two poster frames at Target for $5 each.  I decided to use them to frame the girls posters. We are hoping this will be a cool and unique way for them to keep track of the goals they complete during Activity Days and be added motivation to complete others on their own so they can mark them off too.  Using a dry erase marker the girls can easily check off completed requirements and write out a plan for completing future goals in the margin space.


We're hopefully optimistic.  The plan isn't in full swing yet ... the frames need to be hung so the girls can really use them to do more than mark off things they have completed.  Then we'll work with them to plan out a couple of months of goals, on the plexi-glass surface, so when we say, "you need to spend time this morning working on Z goal." there is pre-agreed to, in writing plan to work from and will hopefully allow us to avoid massive, draining melt downs.

2 comments:

Heather said...

wait until you add cub scouts to the whole Faith in God program. I swear I feel totally overwhelmed making sure ANY of it gets done!

I will check out that poster though...sounds like your idea of dry-erase markers on glass frame just might help over here too!

Kate said...

Heather ... It's crazy isn't it? This summer we add a third kid doing this... THREE.

We're gonna try to piggy back as much as we can with CS and FG. A friend used FG and CS requirements as FHE lessons to get the kids through all of it. When we've done it, it's been very successful.

BTW - I wasn't thrilled when I saw how much GR paid in shipping, so if you love it, go in with other parents. If you don't love it, The Idea Door has some GF Check Lists you could play with to do something similar.