Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring Break, day 2

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

The three big kids have been spending a lot of time with a family up the street. They have three children all exactly the same ages as our three big kids. We first met when the girls attended preschool. They never were in the same class, but over the years the six have become good friends, and recently started playing together for an hour or so here and there after school.

While they were at our house over the weekend, I learned that they were planning to attend the annual St. Patrick's Day parade. Their mom and I decided to meet at one of the near by parks for lunch so we could snag a decent parking space and then watch the parade. We met up with so many different friends. Friends from church, friends from preschool, friends from soccer, friends from school. While we do not live in, what I define as, a small town, I love how at functions like this, it feels like a small town because you run into so many people you know.



The weather was beautiful, perfect parade weather ... clear, sunny and warm, nearly hitting 80. Consequently, the parade was packed with sight seers and participants. I've decided I like parades that last 30 minutes. After 20 minutes you've basically seen all there is to see, the kids have gotten candy ready for it to be over, but 30 seems a little more practical for all involved. From what I hear, this one went over an hour. Anna was thankfully able to seek refuge from the sun under a canopy with Grandma, Alex lasted an additional 20 minutes, and then he and Grandpa both retreated to the canopy. Once the five of us had absolutely positively had our fill of St. Patrick, I was able to convince Sam, Emily and Rebecca that we needed to head for the car and have ginormous ice cream cones at home.

We ate our ice cream cones, relaxed for what only seemed like 5 minutes, and then it was time to welcome Papa home and eat dinner. After a day out, no one felt like making dinner, so we took advantage of $.99 kid meals at the local all you can eat pizza buffet. You can't beat $15 for the six of us to eat.

Tonight, I also attended a Cooking Class (a new HFPE Group) at my friend Shannon's. We had such a good time! I have pictures of all the yummy things we made, that I hope to get posted next week.

1 comment:

Livia said...

How fun! Ana looks like a doll. Can you tell I want one?!