Earlier we spent a few hours with my very good friend Amy Lynn who is in town for two weeks with her three kids visiting her in-laws. Banana boats were on the lunch menu - as the dessert of course - but we never quite got to that part of the menu. The kids were having a great time playing outside, and inside, and outside and inside, that the idea of dessert wasn't even considered.
The boys and I put them together for dessert tonight while the girls finished up their homework. I split the banana in thirds the way my grandmother taught me, laid the skinny banana sections in a tin foil "boat," while Sam and Alex piled handfuls of marshmallows and chocolate chips on top and then melted the chips and marshmallows in the oven for a few minutes.
Sadly they did not go over quite as I'd envisioned. Maybe it was because we were lacking in the campfire atmosphere department. Anyway, here's how they played out, Rebecca ate the chocolate and marshmallows, but totally and completely refused to touch the banana. Emily ate hers without complaint, score one for mom! Sam and Alex ate about half of their boats, and probably should have just split one. And GR did see what I was so excited about ... guess he didn't like they so much. He did say that maybe he'd like them more if he'd gotten a chance to eat his while it was still warm. I guess cold banana boats aren't that fantastic. Sigh ... oh well. The boys and I had fun, and I'm thinking they might make a fun after-kids-go-to-bed snack for me, cause I thought they were great!
1 comment:
I would like/love the banana boats!
Post a Comment