Monday, March 09, 2009

Birthday Cheesecake

Today is Grandpa Bob's birthday and given that we spent the weekend in St. Louis, and it's a school night, we celebrated in. Rebecca called to ask Grandpa what he wanted as his birthday cake ... fruit pie, cream pie, cupcakes, layer cake, cheesecake, what ever he wanted. He requested cheesecake, and we took a cheesecake factory cheesecake sampler with three different flavors over after dinner to celebrate.



The kids made a card for him. On the back I traced each child hand and had them dictate to me all the things they love about Grandpa Bob. writing them within their hand prints. It was sweet and heart warming to hear them rattle off all their favorite things about Grandpa, what has left a lasting impression on their young hearts ... he plays with me, he makes us ice cream, he fixes things for us, he built the playhouse for us, etc.

I asked Emily, "How do you know Grandpa loves you?"
"Because he wouldn't do all those things for us, if he didn't." (in an innocent, duh mom tone)



What a great reminder that what is important to our children and grandchildren is our love and time, nothing more. To them it's so simple. I've gotta get a picture of the back of that card. It is a priceless treasure I need to preserve for them.

No comments: