Monday, January 26, 2009

Microchips Not Included

I seriously need to move pictures off the mini Nikon so I can share what we've been doing around here lately ... but in the mean time more about our Winter Break ...

My brother's future father-in-law gave him a fantastic vintage popcorn popper for Christmas and he allowed my kids to experience it our last night in St. Louis. The three of them had seen one at a small diner on one of their road trips and Joe commented how cool it was. 6 months later, it was his Christmas gift, and we were thrilled to spend the evening with Joe and Katy helping them test it out for the first time.



It is a truly amazing little machine that pops a perfect batch of popcorn everytime! It's a bit like a mouse trip I guess, in that it operates on the tripping of levers. To start the machine, the operator lowers a lever which puts everything in to action ... the heating of the heating element, the shaking of the popcorn tin, and then once the popcorn has finished popping - popping up to just the right height so every kernel is popped, the height of the popped popcorn trips the lever, stopping the shaking of the tin, and turning off the heating element. Amazing and fun to watch!



I think we polished off no less than 6 little trays of popcorn before we all agreed it was time to walk away - but it was so hard. Hot fresh, perfectly salted popcorn - ummmmm good.


3 comments:

Kris Farrar said...

What a fun thing, I've never seen one of those before! Joe is the COOLEST uncle!

Amy said...

That's a cool little gadget! What a nice future FIL!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks for posting those pics, we had so much fun sharing.