Saturday, May 03, 2008

Rebecca's Baptism



Rebecca's Baptism was a really sweet experience and one I hope she will remember for the rest of her life. I made a little "Baptism Book of Remembrance" for her and I need to encourage her to write down what she remembers from today.

As I mentioned before, she planned out the program ... picked who would take each part of the program, and even made phone calls to ask if individuals could come and participate. She picked "When I am Baptized" and "I am a Child of God" as the opening and closing song.

She invited her primary class, and three of them were able to come, as well as one of her friends from school with her family. Her primary teacher also came, Rebecca had asked her to give a talk on Baptism. Rebecca adores her, and she has a very good way of helping and coaching Rebecca, who can be a bit of a challenge to keep focused and on task in class. One of the traditions of her family, is to make and present a lei when someone is getting baptized. This is the beautiful orchid lei, handmade by her teacher, with flowers shipped from Hawaii. It looked so pretty up against her white dress!



I'm not sure Rebecca will understand the significance of some of today's events until she gets older and has more experience behind her. At least I hope I am able to teach her to recognize and appreciate the significance of the sacrifices of others on her behalf. She was surrounded by family and friend who love her, many of whom had sacrificed in order to support her on this very significant day.


2 comments:

Livia said...

She looks beautiful!

Vatti said...

Thanks to all of you who made this possible by your presence and participation.