Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Counting grams

There's been lots of talk in the last few months in my little blogging circle of friends, about increasing whole grains in their diet. One of the benefits of eating whole grains is FIBER!

My dad is always interested in how much fiber a slice of bread has ... it's not real whole wheat bread if it doesn't weigh a ton and have lots of fiber in it. No wimpy, pumped full of air, colored with molasses bread for his family! Anyway, when you see one of us in the bread isle of the grocery store, looking at the labels of three or four different loaves of bread - at the same time - that's what we're doing, comparing fiber content.

A week or so ago, I made an interesting discovery that warranted a phone call home to my dad. Reading the nutritional label on the back of the bagels we LOVE and splurge on pretty regularly, I learned they have a ton of fiber in them! More fiber than a slice of bread ... but you're also eating twice, if not three times as much food ...


Yesterday while shopping for items to go in a special trail mix
(honey nut chex, honey nut cheerios, raisins, peanuts, mini m&m's, mini marshmallows) Emily wanted to take to school today to share with her classmates, (Today, she was the special kid of the day ... a title that will rotate through the class multiple times through the year) I discovered a new multigrain cracker that Alex and I have decided is a definite keeper. Who'd a thought the box All-Bran multigrain crackers would really taste great?

Last week Rebecca was in tears because she missed buying her lunch on spaghetti day, and as usually I was the bad guy. In an effort to show her I really wasn't a heartless mean mom out to make her life miserable, I made her spaghetti and meatballs (never made meatballs before - and they turned out delic!!) for dinner. I had a box of whole wheat noodles in our food storage, waiting to be tested on the family and decided to give them a try ... no one noticed. So, I purchased three more boxes, and I'm phasing the "regular" noodles out of my food storage, know of any upcoming food drives?

Here are the facts if anyone is interested:


4 comments:

Topper said...

That's our bread too! In fact we have a bread related one liner that a friend of ours coined on a recent stay. My friend (a Wonder Bread girl through and through)saw that we were packing a sandwiches for a picnic lunch later in the day and remarked unenthusiastically, "There'll be No shortage of whole wheat bread in This house."
Way to be healthy! We don't care for the whole wheat pasta as much, but can't resist the healthiness guilt occasionally.

Lori said...

We also buy the All-bran crackers. As far as pasta goes, we like the Barilla Plus pastas. They're infused with flaxseed to increase omega-three and other good stuff. I understand about the bread aisle. It's hard to find whole grain, let alone whole grain without high fructose corn syrup. We like Sara Lee's Deli Sliced and another one I can't think of at the moment. Good for you in your healthier eating!

Vatti said...

Horray for fiber! I love it when people read those nutritional content labels and make decisons based on them.

lisa h. said...

hi, I saw your blog on Michelle Stewarts...anyway we've been looking for the same in our bread and also trying to avoid bread with high fructose corn syrup as well...which has been a challenge, just trying to get to the most natural form of bread! my family never notices the whole wheat noodles either, unless my husband sees the box and then he "thinks" he doesn't like them. good luck food label hunting!