Last night I finally planted my garden... I know Grandfather, June 8th isn't really the most ideal time to plant a garden in Kansas, but I purchased the plants at least 8 weeks ago... very embarassing... and figured they should get in the ground. They'd survived this long ... actaully produciing one small tomato and bell pepper ... they should be given the opportunity to thrive in real dirt with plenty of space, sunshine and water. Anyway, one tomato plant in particular looked a little droopy when I put it in the ground last night so this morning I went out to check on it to make sure it was still alive and had soaked up all the water I gave it last night.
Well from the pictures below you can see what I found. A baby bird had fallen from it's nest - in my dryer vent 2 stories above my garden... AND it was moving! Head, neck, wings, legs, all were moving! I frantically looked for the Nature Center's phone number and dial... praying that someone would answer the phone even though it was 45 minutes before they were to open.
The naturalist I talked to told me to bring it in, they don't nurse animals, but they are a drop off site, so if possible they'd find someone to nurse it to adulthood. I really didn't want this little guy to die in my garden, and if possible I wanted it to at least have a chance at survival - something more humain that what it was doing in my garden dirt.
Using great care, I scooped the little guy into a box filled with shredded paper and topped off with 2 squares of toliet paper, and off we all went to deliver the baby bird. The children were really good with the baby bird, they were quite concerned about the little guy and wanted to make sure it would be okay.
When I showed the naturalist the bird, he was surprised at how young the bird was and was doubtful they'd be able to do much for it given it's size, but he took the bird and said they'd do what they could ... sadly it's injury's were pretty extensive. Since it landed on it's belly, there was massive brusing, and the naturalist was pretty sure they'd have to put it down. More than likely it became lunch for one of the animals they have there at the nature center.
In the car on the way home, the kids were asking about the baby bird and if it would be okay. I explained that they were going to do everything that they could to help the baby bird. But that if they weren't able to help it feel better, that they baby bird would still be okay because he'd be with Heavenly Father. Emily decided that the baby bird would be happier with Heavenly Father.
And, Sam kept asking if the baby bird was going to miss us, and I'm sure in some small way, it might.
5 comments:
Oh so very sad! But sort of a good lesson for the kids. Poor birdie!
As far as the tomatoes go, one of the things I have learned from Grandfather is that tomato blossoms won't set fruit unless the night-time temperatures are between 60 & 70 degrees. Pray for cool weather! Planting a garden (no matter how late) and your care and concern for the little bird are great examples for your children.
oh, my!! You weren't kidding when you told me that the baby bird was tiny!!
A good lesson for the kids. When I volunteered at the Nature Sanctuary in Liberty, I wasn't allowed to talk extensively with people who called to enquire about helping injured animals. I wasn't very good at explaining delicately that an animal that doesn't survive is still a vital part of the food chain because of what happens to it. It sounds like you did a good job.
Sorry the dryer vent is still causing problems.
That is great that you knew who to call about the baby bird! I agree with the otehrs what a great example to teach your kids!
Post a Comment