Before loading up the car for church this morning I checked in on our chrysalis' to see if they were making any sign of opening up. Their color had changed from grey to a dark grey/black color. I contimplated taking the entire pavilion to church with us so we wouldn't miss them emerging, but then decided surely they would wait 3 hours ... plus where would I put it during church?
To my horror, when we got home we had a pavilion full of butterflies! After a quick count, we had 8... so we had two chrysalis's that were thankfully, taking their time to emerge. We got to watch one emerge from the chrysalis and that was amazing!
Our little booklet recommended feeding them a sugar water solution on fresh flowers. We tried using flowers from my garden, but they didn't stand up easily, so we opted for the second and third suggestions - a paper towel soaked in the sugar water solution and sliced oranges. So far the paper towel is the favorite.
Now Emily has to decide when she'll be willing to release the butterflies into the wild. Their lifespan is about 2-3 weeks, so by this weekend I'm hoping she'll be willing to release them. It's been a really fun project, and is defiantely one we'll do again!
3 comments:
This is a very cool project. I'm so glad you took so many pictures so we could see what happens thruout.
That looks really neat. What a great learning opportunity.
A sponge with sugar water works well too. How cool!
Post a Comment