Monday, June 05, 2006

Weekend Warriers

Saturday, 27 March 2006

While the children played in a new sprinkler, GR and I continued to work on cleaning out and organizing the garage. We started Friday night by taking down some shelves we put up last fall that despite our best molly bolting efforts, ripped themselves from the walls.

It seems that every 5-6 months we need to spend a Saturday morning reorganizing the garage, sweeping out all the dirt and leaves that find their way into the garage, take a load of cardboard boxes to the recycling center, and clear space to park bikes and organize the outdoor toys.

GR talked me out of taking a picture of the heaping pile of trash we set out Tuesday AM. I did feel better as I drove around the neighborhood Monday evening... everyone in our neighborhood either cleaned out their garage or basement this weekend because nearly every house on the street had twice as much trash out for the Tuesday morning pick-up as they normally do.

One item that got thrown away worth noting: The original W Family tents that were 18+ years old. These were the tents we used to camp for the very first time as a family in Bryce Canyon. Daddy would remember the exact year. They were used on many a family camping trip, father son camp outs, scout camping trips, etc. Barbara brought them to use at girls camp the summer she nannied for us in 2002. They didn't get opened then, and they haven't been opened since - just sitting rolled up in my garage. I wanted to make sure everyone was satisfied that they had served their purpose. Daddy assured me they had, and in the trash they went, bugels sounding as they made their way to the end of the drive way.


4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Good for you. Even though I don't have a garage, I've got a trunk, which is a similar collecting spot for junk and dirt. It feels much better to know its clean.

Kate said...

Agreed! Such a liberating feeling to throw away things that are just taking up space!

Michelle said...

i must have that font...where did you get it??

Elspeth said...

Looks really good. I wish I could say the same for our garage. . .