Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Quilting Project Update

I've had a chance to talk with Mary Ann on the phone two weekends in a row!! She asked about what projects I was working on and I sent her the following pictures that I thought would be of interest to some of you:

Flag Wall Hanging


The cream and red stripes are quilted using metallic threads… gold = cream and red = red. I added small red seed beads sporadically over the red metallic quilting threads … 3 beads, 2” space, 7 beads, 1” space, and so on. They add just a hint of sparkle to the quilt and make you want to take a step closer to check it out, which I like. This is very different than any other quilting project I've done, which I also like.

Butternut and Blue


I started this quilt when I was pregnant with Sam - it was a class done through a quilt shop in KC. I finished the blocks last Spring and had the columns of squares assembled by late Summer 2004. Then I went on the hunt for the blue fabric. I found some in February, but none of the local shops had a bolt of it, only fat quarters. I found it online, but kept hoping I could find it in a shop and never did. So I ordered this fabric from an Ohio quilt shop's website. I called to make sure the colors were what I wanted and they shipped it out to me.

The woman who taught the class (Barbara Brackman) is a quilt historian, fabric designer and publisher. She is publishing a book and has put out a call to all former students to submit pictures of their finished quilts or quilt tops to be considered for publication in her upcoming book. The color is a little off, which is too bad because they are really pretty, and fairly accurate to the period (civil war era).

Each of the blocks is for a woman involved in the civil war, MO KS border wars. I’m not sure what kind of quilting I’m going to have done, but I defiantly want to have vintage/civil war era quilting designs used. This may take some research and some asking around. I’m hoping Barbara Brackman can provide some suggestions.

Bears Paw - for Sam's room


This is a vintage quilt top I purchased on eBay for $29. I’m hoping to have it quilted and use it on Sam’s bed. I like the steel blue and creamy white colors of the fabric. To help finish off the quilt and give it more interest, I’m removing the top borders (white, blue, white) that are actually the side borders and returning only the blue strip, and will then add a 5” border.

For the last 5+ years 30s/40s reproduction prints have been hugely popular. And I thought I’d try and find one of those fabrics to use as the border. Thinking I might have to lay it out on the back porch to fade it like the blue. Mom and I found the blue, cream, red plaid fabric pictured below, a 30/40s reproduction print, at a shop downtown. I purchased the remaining 2 yards (enough for the borders, and binding or pillow case). It goes beautifully – and doesn’t even need to fade! Next I need to find someone to quilt it … I hope that won’t be a challenge.

4 comments:

joe said...

Wow, Kathleen. Those are beautiful. You are an artist. I've been dreaming of a quilt with an elephant theme. Could I send you some sketches?

Kate said...

Sure!

Anonymous said...

I think it is so great that there is such a thing as a quilting historian. So many histories, so little time. . .

They really are beautiful. I'm glad that you are investing time and money in things that will last--heirlooms.

suz said...

i'm always amazed at the patience it takes to make something like that....and that you have it while dealing with 3 kids. well done.