Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Kansas meets Lebanon

Saturday the kids, Grandma Mum and Grandpa Bob introduced us to Wheatfields breakfast (cinnamon rolls, French toast and omelets) and our local Farmers Market. Both have become a little Saturday morning tradition and they wanted GR and I to experience it, as well as Grandma Mutti and Grandpa Art who were in town visiting for the weekend.

Walking through the farmers market GR found a Lebanese Woman selling Lebanese foods... their lemonade (quite tasty!) two different breads stuffed with meats, and a treat cut into a diamond shape with a blanched almond in the center of each diamond.

We purchased the treat, which was very different -
had the consistency of a dry lemon bar (sticky/gooey and dry at the same time) but definitely didn't share the same taste or sweetness as our lemon bars. I liked it, but it is a great example of how sweet American treats are, because this was anything but sweet.

This evening, Sam was looking for a pre-dinner snack, so I offered him one of the Lebanese treats. He really enjoyed them - finishing off the remaining two diamonds and consequently not eating his potato soup for dinner.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat multi-cultural food experience! We really need to get a good Lebanese cookbook one of these days...

Anonymous said...

The neat thing about the lebanese is that they are spread out all over the world. Whenever we meet someone new they always tell us about an uncle or a cousin or a sibling who is in the US. They do a pretty good job of holding onto their roots too-Matthew's grandmother still makes baklava, even though she was born in the US and only visited Lebanon twice (I think).

Kate said...

Any idea what this treat is called? She told me and for the life of me, I can't remember. I even looked for Lebanese recipes online to try and jog my memory, and nothing looked even close to what we purchased.

joe said...

Sam looks just like a hobit.

Anonymous said...

How can you tell without seeing his feet?

Glad his lip is better, by the way.

suz said...

mmmmmmm.....food.