Last Wednesday, Rebecca came home from preschool talking non-stop about how she was going to make a robot out of recycled materials. It took me a while to figure out why she was so insistent on making a robot (something I wasn’t initially thrilled about doing) - it all made much more sense when I found a note from her teachers in her tote bag asking that each child make a robot using found objects and recycled materials from your home/trash. Since there was no school on Friday or Monday, they had the long weekend to work on them and bring them to class today.
Thankfully, I haven’t been to the recycling center in over a week, so we had plenty of containers for her to choose from. I put a bunch of containers I thought would work well in a bag and made suggestions, but for the most part she took charge of the project and did her own design. Her favorite part – the hair, this is one of the ideas she had all on her own, start to finish – no suggestions from Mom. And she cut the egg carton all by herself. She also thought it was pretty neat that I let her use the hot glue gun a couple of times.
In the car on the way to preschool she and Emily started talking about the differences between Rebecca’s robot and our bodies… noting that the robot didn’t have a belly button, or muscles. It started with them listing off all the things Rebecca forgot to include on her robot… a belly button, fingers, toes, etc. So I explained that robots are like computers, and asked if our computer had a belly button or muscles. They said “NO! that’s silly.” It was a really cute conversation.
Rebecca and Emily both loved seeing all the other Pre-K student’s robots as kids went into their classrooms. I’m curious to here what Rebecca has to say about everyone’s robots this afternoon. Each child did such a neat job using a variety of different objects.
So there’s another snippet from a day in the life of the Gordon-Ross family.
1 comment:
Congrats on the blog. What a great idea.
It's a very good robot.
Post a Comment