Monday, March 07, 2005

A Culinary Success

I found this recipe a couple of months ago and finally got a chance to make it. And to my delight, it is our families new favorite. I've made them twice now and the kids devour them - and there isn't much I make from scratch that they devour.

Savory Chicken Crescent Squares
(makes 2-4 servings - four crescent squares)

3 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons margarine, softened
2 cups diced, cooked chicken
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon minced onion
8 oz. pkg crescent rolls
1 tablespoon margarine, melted
3/4 cup seasoned croutons, crushed

Cream together cream cheese and 3 tablespoons margarine. Add chicken, salt, pepper, milk and onion and mix well. Separate crescent rolls into 4 rectangles. Press perforations firmly to seal. Spoon 1/2 cup meat mixture into center of each rectangle. Pull corners of dough to top and twist slightly. Seal edges. Arrange on cookie sheet. Brush tops with melted butter, and sprinkle with crouton crumbs. Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes.

*Note: I haven't had a lot of success getting a full 1/2 cup of meat into one crescent rectangle. I normally double the recipe and end up using three packages of crescent rolls - for a total of 12 squares. If you make only one batch, have a second tube of dough on hand just in case you need it.

No comments: