Most of the grades came through and learned about political figures, famous athletes, generals, scientists, business men and women and more. Lots of parents and grandparents made their way through too. GR's parents and my parents were able to come through and listened to lots of students recite their speeches. Alex and Anna had a great time pushing buttons and making the characters come a live. I am so glad I was able to go! I wasn't sure I'd be able to go. I'm working textbook buy back again this week, but they had plenty of people and I was able to shift my schedule around so I could help her get into her costume and watch her perform her speech a couple of times. I'm really looking forward to doing this again as each child get's to fifth grade!
Rebecca selected Elizabeth Lucas Pinckney, who is famous for not only being a plantation owner, but was instrumental in bringing indigo and silk (among other things) to the south, allowing Americans a local supplier other than China in the mid 1700s. Rebecca was very passionate about Eliza and I couldn't have been more excited for Rebecca to learn about her - what a great woman to learn about and admire.
For her costume we were able to re-purpose my sisters bridesmaid dress from my wedding. Barbara was a few years older than Rebecca, but the only alterations the dress needed were two good tucks up in the back. Mom and I cut and sewed and pined to transform that little dress to meet Rebecca's specifications. And while it isn't exact, she was thrilled, and all the kids in her class, knew exactly who she was. Everyone kept saying, "You look just like the picture in our social studies book!!"



1 comment:
She is growing into such an elegant young lady.
What a neat historical character for her to choose.
Post a Comment