We celebrated this Valentine's Day with a late dinner ... unintentional, but allowed GR to join us since his elementary school task force committee met earlier in the evening and he went straight there from work ... of heart shaped pancakes (with pink, red and white sprinkles), fresh strawberries, "homemade" strawberry sauce and real whipped cream. YUMM! I made a triple batch of mom's Feather pancakes and only a couple were leftover. The strawberry sauce consisted of one can of strawberry pie filling whirled up in my mini chopper, and diced frozen strawberries cooked over the stove until thick and saucy. It worked really well, and used up a pantry item that's been sitting far too long.
After dinner we opened Valentines from the grandparents. It was a really fun evening.
The kids enjoyed their classroom parties and handing out their Valentines. There were only a couple of casualties which everyone weathered well. We made candy cane hearts for the kids Valentines this year, using cherry flavored candy canes I picked up at Target at the 80ish% off after Christmas sales. A link to the tutorial I used is here. They are extremely fragile. I purchased 192 candy canes to make the needed Valentines, but in the end, thanks to a number of casualties, we had just enough striped hearts for all four school kids to give them to teachers and classmates. 13+18+24+25 = 80 Valentines, or 160 candy canes. In the end this "thrifty" valentine ... $1.70 for the candy canes + $7.98 for the bags + $3.50 for the paper backing = $13.18, cost ~$.17 each. Having never priced out the kids valentines before, I guess $.17 is pretty good for a handmade valentine?
1 comment:
Sam's going with short hair again these days?
Post a Comment