Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Night Devotionals

As a youth I attended many Sunday night firesides at members homes. Typically they were held at youth leaders homes, or the homes of fellow youth, but occasionally they were held in other members homes. When GR mentioned at the beginning of the year that they were going to start having more youth firesides ... now called devotionals cause fireside really is a confusing term, since they are rarely held at the side of a fire ... and wanted to have them held in members home whenever possible, I got excited for the youth.

Tonight we got a chance to host the first one, and I think the youth had a great time. The speaker (pictured left), I'm told, did a bang up job as always. Sadly, my plan to listen in from the back door didn't happen. Just as he got started, Alex had an accident and my mother called totally lost in KC. I'm still trying to figure out exactly where she was. After driving around the suburbs for a while and consulting google maps, we finally got her back on the right highway and she eventually made it here to spend Spring Break with us (Daddy's out of town for the week, so she's spending it with us!).

Thankfully, it was just dry enough and just warm enough to have it outside around the fire pit. We rounded up all the fleece and wool blankets in the house for them to wrap up in and served a good amount of hot chocolate, s'mores and fruity rice krispie treats. I hope we'll be able to host more things like this, where we can provide a fun place for the youth to hang out, feel the spirit and allow their testimonies to grow in a safe environment. And I'm excited for other families in the ward to provide the same kind of space for the youth this year too.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Sooooo, the non-fireside devotional was held at the side of a fire? =)

Sounds like a really fun time for them. What was the topic?

Also, how long does GR plan to stay goatee-less? Was there a certain time period for the bet, or has he decided to stay this way?

Kate said...

Fun, yes!
I don't quite remember the topic.
He's goatee-less for now. He hasn't expressed any interest in growing it back yet.

Sara Jensen said...

That's very cool that you are so excited to serve the youth. They will remember your home and the love and warmth they felt there for years!