Friday, March 12, 2010

A Little Known Fact

.... that is, I think it's a little known fact ... I guess we'll have to see.

One of the perks of buying Grandma and Grandpa's house is having access to the shed. The shed houses all of Bob's wood working equipment. Bob couldn't take them with him, so we're looking after them, providing them a good home, and when he needs something, he shows up and uses or takes what ever he needs for the project of the day.

Like most guys who went to a small high school, GR took shop. He really enjoyed it and had a shop teacher that would let the kids make whatever they wanted. So after the first standard project, he started making other things; a set of nesting elephants for his mother, a rocking horse, a bench with storage under the seat. Since high school, he's done small projects here and there for church or scouts or the fireworks or to help Bob with a home improvement project, but hasn't really been able to do hard core projects because he hasn't had easy access to the tools like he does now. Now that he sleeps 30 feet from them, a whole new world is opening up ... that and the discovery of this blog back in January!

Just before we moved, we cashed in every single credit card point we had a crewed over the last decade or more, for Best Buy gift cards, and finally purchased a big flat TV with every single one of those points. It got delivered the weekend we moved in. After watching a couple of shows, we realized a table or console of some kind under the TV would be smart to help little kids, their hands and their toys at a distance, otherwise, we were going to have a problem. We looked at Target and Walmart, even Craigslist, and found some suitable options, but in almost every case they were expensive for what you were getting. And so we figured we could totally make our own, and settled on these plans.

It took a series of nights over two weeks to complete it ... it was all GR. I did nothing, but make sure sleeping children didn't wake up, admire his handy work, console him when he pointed out mistakes, and of course, click pictures so I could brag on him. I'm not sure exactly how people are able to put this thing together in an evening or two?! But we are both so pleased with how it turned out and are already planning future projects!




So there you have it, a little known fact, my husband can build stuff from scratch!

8 comments:

Topper said...

Way to go! -Both the table and buying the TV with points. Brilliant!

Heather said...

Looks AWESOME! Go GR!!

Jennifer Lee said...

This looks WONDERFUL! Nice work!

Mary Ann said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I love learning stuff like this about people I thought I knew.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Can he teach my husband?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katy said...

GR always amazes me. What a cool project.

Sara Jensen said...

It turned out great!!!