Saturday was the BBQ contest - GR took 2nd place this year! - and our quarterly Primary Activity. We focused totally on the scriptures for this activity. We noticed that many of the older kids couldn't find a scripture when given the referrence ... they couldn't tell you if it was a Bible scripture, Book of Mormon, etc. And some younger kids were only really familiar with the Book of Mormon, not the Bible or vice versa, and definitely not the Doctrine and Covenants or Pearl of Great Price. Because of time constraints, we focused mainly on the Bible and Book of Mormon, having mini break out sessions (grouped by age - jr/jr, jr and sr) for the Old Testament, New Testament and Book of Mormon.
I taught the Jr New Testament session focusing on the teachings of the Savior by looking up scriptures in the Bible. I had kids in my group Sam to Emily's age and wanted to give them a take home reminder that would further help teach them about the New Testament. I instantly thought of a handout my Mom used in her primary teaching days - My Story of Jesus from a 1974 Friend and reprinted in March 1999. Since they range from new readers to strong, avid readers, I felt my handout needed to "grow" with the kids. I wanted it to be more than just a coloring activity, I wanted it to be something they would keep and use for a while.
I combined the illustrations from the Friend with coordinating text found in the New Testament Stories for Beginning Readers and included the scripture reference. Hoping my new readers like Sam can look at the picture and read the simple text, and my strong readers like Emily, would read the simplified story and both could practice looking up the scripture stories in the New Testament. I also included a couple of pictures from the Gospel Art Book and a few songs from the Primary Song book that talk about the life of the Savior. I am really pleased with how well the book turned out and the kids were genuinely excited about them too.
It is nearly impossible to accurately estimate how many kids you will have at an activity like this. I figured it would be 18-20 for that age group, but just to be safe I made around 24 books. Of course I have extras and the thought of deconstructing them kills me. Would some of you like to have one of your own for your kids church bag?
If so leave a comment between now and Monday morning, I've got at least four copies I can mail out, so I'll randomly pick four names if there are more than four of you who'd like a copy.
By the way ... it's a standard 4x6, inexpensive photo album and all but the last three pages are filled up. So your child can add some of their favorite pictures of Jesus if you'd like.
10 comments:
Looks great. We wouldn't mind having one if it works out.
These look great. I hope I get one. We just had an FHE about reverence in church. Maybe this would help my kids remember what the point of sacrament meeting is!
I would absolutely LOVE a copy! You are amazing. I have no idea how you do all the things that you do.
i'm sure my son would really like this!
Hi Kathleen!
It sounds like a wonderful primary activity--we would love one of your books--our church books are looking a little dilapidated right now! And if you have the digital file, I would love that too!
I'm sure my crazy boys would love looking at the book. Sounds like it was a good activity - and a lot of work.
I was very impressed with all the work that was put in the book. I didn't know that you were the one who made it, but I was going to ask last Sunday and I forgot. Thank you for everything that you do for our little ones! Jasmine loves hers and even Andrew took time to look through it and seemed to enjoy the pictures.
Wonderful! I would love one. If you have too many comments, may I suggest a future Etsy listing? ;)
These are fabulous!!! I would love these. If I don't win one, I might be emailing to get a few more details...but hopefully I'll win!! :)
Isn't it great what is available for creative use from lds.org? You are amazing! Did it end up as one big file that could be printed out or is it an assembly project?
Post a Comment