Friday, June 12, 2009

Special Date Night

We don't go out on dates but a few times each year - and really, the times we do get out, it's for church or work functions and I hardly call those dates ... five kids the ages of ours just make it less than easy to have a date night, even with willing family and favorite loyal babysitters.

But when our friends Kevin and Katrina called to see if we'd be interested in attending a Friday night cooking class at a Whole Foods type store that included being served the gourmet dinner we'd be shown how to make, we moved heaven and earth to go.


Over the years I've heard amazing things about the chefs they have teach here - my favorite scone recipe, Alyson got from a class she took from them, and it was great fun to finally experience it first hand. Chef Paige, shared with us a Mediterranean-Inspired Summer Menu that was fantastic and so satisfying. I have to admit that GR and I both felt extremely uncultured and uneducated in the ways of the culinary world, something that hopefully we can remedy once the kids are a little older and can be a bit more self sufficient. We've had a taste of the outside world and well, it was nice.

Potato Gnocchi with Asparagus, Browned Butter & Herbs (we forgot to take a picture until we were all to the very, very last bites on our plates, between the four plates, there was just enough to piece together this fork full. It was amazing, and I hope I can learn to duplicate it at home!


Roasted Rack of Lamb with Mustard Breadcrumbs served with Green Salad with Seasonal Vegetables & Olives


Apricot Custard Tart with Almonds


We truly had a magnificent time. It was a wonderful way to spend the eve of our 11th wedding anniversary. And it was so nice to spend it with friends, thank you Kevin and Katrina for thinking of us. Thank you again to your friends for making other plans and giving us their spots! And thank you to Grandma and Grandpa for making sure the right child made it to the right activity - both scheduled at the exact same time - Sam to his t-ball game, the girls to practice.

It was such a memorable treat for us.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Ahhh, so nice to eat like that (as uncultured as we are, too!) now and then. Gnocchi or apricot tart, not sure which I liked the best, but I'd take either one again. The lamb was a little rare for me, but I was so proud of myself for even eating lamb.
Thanks so much for going with us. It was great!