Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Best Brownies Ever

I have to say that while I love the idea of homemade, from scratch, brownies, they never seem to turn out like the box kind, and consequently, in my mind fall short. I am not a cake like brownie girl. And most of my, from scratch brownies, have turned out cake-like.

Sunday, Diane tried a new brownie recipe she is hoping to use for Farmers Market. We didn't get a chance to eat them Sunday night, so she sent us home with the pan. They were amazing, and the entire 9x9 pan was polished off by Monday night. The three big kids
spent a couple hours at Grandma's this afternoon and brought home the recipe:

Best Brownies Ever

1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine, melted
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Heat oven to 350. Grease 9" square pan. Stir together margarine, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs; beat well. Combine flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Add to margarine mixture. Spread into prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes. Frost.


Creamy Brownie Frosting

3 tablespoons margarine, softened
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons milk

Beat margarine, cocoa, corn syrup and vanilla. Add powdered sugar and milk. Beat to a spreading consistency.

6 comments:

Heather said...

i've always been partial to the fudge brownie recipe in the BH&G cookbook myself. The recipe is similar to your MIL's.

Mary Ann said...

in the W family cookbook Kris F.'s recipe for hubba-hubba starts with what has become my go-to recipe for brownies. Have you tried that? This one looks a lot like it, so I'll try it one of these days. . . .

Elspeth said...

I've been using this recipe for several years, and I always get rave reviews.

Livia said...

How come we didn't get any? I guess I have to make my own:)

Jennifer said...

oh you would have a yummy brownie recipe when I just decided to have self control :)

Kim said...

Ok, I made these tonight and when I take them out they are soupy and the butter is bubbling on the top -- is this right?