Saturday morning the sewing group came back to life ... it's the group that over the last 5+ years has tried to put itself into extinction many times. Each year in an effort to keep it afloat I try a different teaching/project approach. This year the plan is to meet quarterly-ish and work on a different project each time. Many people said they wanted to learn to use a pattern, so yesterday we started with a skirt. Pretty simple, not too many pieces, a good beginner project. I had six people show up with more who wanted to come, but couldn't because of Spring Break traveling. We went over the basics of patterns and lingo, everyone showed off their fabrics and patterns and some even got started cutting out their garments. We've scheduled a second session for next Saturday morning so I can keep help everyone along at their different stages of the project. I'm hopeful this will be a successful year for the group. Everyone is excited about this project and doing future projects. My goal is to make sure that whatever project we work on in the group, that everyone walks away having learned valuable techniques that will translate to other sewing projects they want to do later on in life. Hopefully we can achieve this and we're able to keep up the momentum.
When I got home, Becca pulled out my scraps and decided she needed to make a little quilt, similar to her McKensie quilt. She's decided this one needs to go to a little guy who's due to arrive any day! She got the top sewn together, designed the quilting and we figured out the binding. Now I need an hour or so to help her learn how to stitch down the binding. It turned out really cute. I'll post pictures once she's done sewing down the binding.
We had amazing weather all weekend long. Mild, breezy weather that called us all outside to enjoy the fresh air. Sunday, GR got home earlier than usual from his bishop duties, and after some relaxing and basketball watching, I suggested a family hike. The kids enjoyed the hikes earlier in the week so much, and Sunday's weather was so perfect for an outdoor stroll, we just couldn't pass up the opportunity. We saw some beautiful things ...
After our walk, we came home for a dinner of hamburgers done up on the grill, eating them picnic style in the living room while watching BOLT (a redbox rental). We all really enjoyed it, and it made a great little end cap to our week of at home vacationing.
4 comments:
Wow, Becca sewing! I don't know why I'd be astonished by a nearly-nine-year-old sewing, but I am. good for her!
What a great teacher for your group! I remember you teaching me to read a pattern at the 'Tute. The dress from that day is somewhere in the girls dress-up things. Makes me smile.
The hike looks fun, I miss the deciduous forest. Too many years in conifers and desert.
Kathleen! Is that your family? It has been too long since we last talked... I just got back in touch with Adam (in California) and I was thinking of you...and found you on the web! We just had a daughter named Stella Kate: nevergohome.com My email is dwoodbury@gmail.com.
-David
I hadn't heard about the sewing group being in full swing again (is our ward included?). Can I just bring dimensions and fabric for your help in front window curtains? I have no skill, but I have had the fabric for about two years now. Help! ;)
Post a Comment