Sunday, January 11, 2009

We're Still in Kansas, Toto

Over the last 8 years or so, I have gotten some memorable emails via Mormonchic.com. As you can imagine, many people make lots of assumptions about the website and who is behind it. This is by no means the best, but tonight recipe[at]mormonchic.com got the following email ...

"I am the Enrichment Counselor in the BYU 29th ward. We are all newly married 2wks-5 yrs and many of us are new at food storage. I was wondering if you come and teach Relief Society sisters on how to use their food storage. Please let me know. Thanks, ______ "

Oh the cheeky things I thought of saying ... the things GR told me to say ... instead, like always, I sent this instead:

I wish I could, but I live in Kansas.


Contact your Stake Relief Society Presidency and ask if they have good resources for you to use. More than likely they know of many sisters in the Provo, Orem area who are experts at home storage on any income, especially as newly married students living in small spaces. I'm confident they will be able to help teach the sisters in your unit to use their food storage given current circumstances, as well as prepare them to do the same once their circumstances change after graduation.

My best wishes to you and your sisters.

Warmly,

Recipe Chic


* * * *

On a slightly different note ... but relates to the subject of replying and writing to people ...

Have you all heard buzz about the Consumer Products Safety Improvement Act that will go into affect 10 February 2009? If you haven't, it's time to jump on the bandwagon and make your voice heard and known to your state representative ... In an effort to protect children from harmful toxins, specifically harmful levels of lead that have been found in toys manufactured overseas and sold in the US, stricter product safety guidelines are being set forth in this act to go into affect in less than a month. Sadly, while well meaning - hello who doesn't want our kids to be safe!!, as the Act as currently written, has the ability to wipe out most small cottage industry businesses (like mine!) that make and sell handmade clothing, toys, and textile accessories for babies and children because they simply cannot afford the testing required to prove that their products do not contain more than 600 ppm total lead.

Cool Mom Picks has a good collection of articles and recent media stories about this issue, as well as links to sample letters you can use to send to your state representative if you'd like to let them know how you feel about the issue.

What kills me is that many of these cottage industries who will no longer be able to make and sell their wares, started their businesses in an effort to provide children with high quality, fun, imaginative, practical, handmade and most importantly safe, things to have around them. Hopefully the outcry of those who make and buy handmade articles for babies and children will be heard loudly enough to make a difference.

4 comments:

Kim said...

What?!?! Mormons live outside of Utah?!?!! I am shocked. Really. ;)

Kris Farrar said...

It is truly amazing how Utahcentric members of the Church can be...HELLO some of us LIKE living in the "mission field"...

Unknown said...

My favorite thing to say to people when we are in Utah and they ask why we are there: "We are visiting from Zion checking for apostasy." Granted, I stole it from a good friend who needs to move back here, but it's still a good line.

Topper said...

... ... I'm still thinking of just the right thing...just... dito. Amen. :)