Monday, December 08, 2008

Gingerbread Houses

On the Saturday before Thanksgiving, the entire family was at Grandma Mum's constructing and decorating gingerbread houses. Each year we try and invite new friends to join us who haven't come in the past. This year we had school friends, work friends, church friends, and friends we've known for many years join us, and it was a lovely time.

I made houses for each of the four "big" kids ... Alexander and I teamed up to decorate his, and this year we didn't have ANY housing catastrophes! No collapsing roofs, no caving walls ... we had four structurally sound houses and that was a very nice thing!

A big thanks to my amazing mother-in-law who spent her entire weekend surrounded by gingerbread houses, first with her church group on Friday and then all Saturday morning with about 6 families coming and decorating houses together ... in total 12 houses and 1 train were decorated, pretty cool huh!

Click to play Gingerbread Houses 2008
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

3 comments:

Amy said...

Cute slide show. I think we have a similar gingerbread house kit! They are so fun!

Lori said...

After seeing this and going to view the gingerbread houses at the Eldridge, I'm inspired to try some on our own...but maybe next year. ;)

Jennifer said...

Looks like a fun day. We have not done Gingerbread houses since we lived in Kansas. I wonder if the visitor's center in Independence still does their huge Gingerbread display ?