Sunday, November 30, 2008

30 Days Hath November

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. This year was my families turn to come here and enjoy the holiday with us and Bob and Diane. My parents and three of my siblings came along with my future SIL. We had a great time baking and talking and relaxing and playing with the kids. I'm so grateful they were all able to come and enjoy a few days with us!

For Family Home Evening last Monday night, the kids and I talked about gratitude. I'd read the idea somewhere to create a turkey with 30 feathers (one for each day of the month), each feather listing something someone was grateful for. The turkey never got made, but I did make 30 feathers and I did write down 30 things the children said they were grateful for, and I did get the feathers taped to the fridge with a huge space left in the center for the imaginary turkey body. I thought I'd share the unedited comments the children gave when asked what they were grateful for ...

S: My family, because some people are just nice to me.
E: Mom & Dad. They are nice and don't yell that much.
R: Anna, because she is funny.
A: Mommy & Daddy. Daddy work.
S: Grandma & Grandpa, they are making our special dinner on Thanksgiving.
E: Holidays - spending time with relatives.
R: Friendship
A: My guys - Emily, Rebecca & Sam
S: Water because we can drink it. [This after having asked 100 times if he could get a drink, and being told to NO!, 101 times.]
E: Clothes so we can keep warm.
R: Food. My mom makes the best food.
A: My blankie.
S: Carson, he plays with me a school and we have fun together.
E: Trees, and the color they turn in fall.
R: Mom, you always get stuff done, laundry, dinner, shopping, ...
A: Baby Anna. I love her.
S: Action figures 'cause I can play with them a lot and they are really cool.
E: Color. If we had no colors everything wouldn't be colorful.
R: Books they help you entertain yourself and some are easy and some are hard ...
A: Swings. I like to play at the park.
S: Balls, you can bounce them, kick them, catch them, throw them.
E: Animals, sounds and crickets
R: Toys, they are something to play with
A: Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
S: Horses to ride
E: All the work Grandma and Grandpa did so we could make gingerbread houses
R: Dad helps us get ready for school in the mornings
S: My healthy body and my lungs
E: That some books are funny.
R: Our house, my shelter that keeps me warm and I can sleep here.

3 comments:

Vatti said...

I'm thankful for all of you!

Matthew said...

Charming!

suz said...

i thought your 'turkey' looked lovely without a body :)