Remember my tea towel crafting craze? Three Christmases ago I lined up the kids and made foot/hand print Reindeer tea towels to give the grandma's and aunts. It seams only one got finished and gifted ... earlier this week I found three three unfinished ones in the craft room cupboard ... woops ... I think we'll try to finish these up this week. Alex and Anna's finger prints can be the ornaments, star and trunk of our Christmas trees.
When Rebecca was in 1st grade, I thought it would be nice for the kids in her class to make a gift for their parents during the winter party -- I don't do anything this complicated anymore, thank you Alyson! Using the Reindeer tea towel as my inspiration, I came up with this adaptation:
To make it possible for 20 kids to do this quickly, I pre-stamped the towels with a reindeer face, glued on the nose and drew on the eyes, so all we needed to add were "antlers." For the most part the project was successful and the kids enjoyed it, but as you can guess, it was way to much to pull off in the 50 minutes we had for the party.
Anyway, I found three of these pre-stamped tea towels in the craft room, ready for you to personalize with your childen's hand prints (you'll need brown craft paint, too) that I'd like to send off to three dear readers. The three I have to send only have the reindeer face, no polka-dots. They are simple enough to add, but most of you have multiple children/grandchildren so you'll probably need the space on either side of Rudolf to add hand print Christmas trees so everyone is represented. Just comment here if you'd like me to send you one of these towels. I'll chose the three winners Friday evening, say around 5pm CST - with all the school parties Friday I'm not going to make it to the post office until Saturday morning, hopefully it will still arrive by Christmas Eve.
If you won't be at the address I have for you and want me to mail it somewhere else, just let me know in the comments (don't put the address there, I'll email you for it if you're a winner, but you've gotta reply quickly so I can still mail it out Saturday AM) so you can do this project while it's still "Christmas." If you don't think I have your snail mail address, leave your email address in the comments so I can get your snail mail address by Saturday AM ...
Let's see ... tips for doing this at home either from the beginning, or using one of my "kits:"
* The nose is a large pom pom from the craft store, hot glued on. You may want to put a few stitches through the nose so when the glue finally gives way in the wash, the nose doesn't get lost.
* The eyes were drawn on using a Sharpie.
* Plain acrylic craft paint works really well for this project. Some say to use fabric paint, but it is expensive and hard to find in the same colors as acrylic craft paint. Craft paint is permanent and washes well - it will fade a bit with lots of washes, but not so much that it's worth the extra bucks for fabric paint.
* Use a thin sharpy to label each hand print once the paint has dried, and put the date down in the corner so many, many years from now you know what year you made it.
* If you want, add a couple rows of red and green ric rac to the bottom of the towel for some added festive cheer.
1 comment:
Oh, oh, pick me! :)
Post a Comment