Saturday, November 01, 2008

Trick-or-Treating



When we talked with the kids about what they wanted to be for Halloween at the beginning of October, I encouraged them to look at costumes and supplies we already had to reduce the crazy amount of money that can be dumped into costumes that are poorly made and rarely get enough use. Early on the plan was the costumes would go something like this ... Becca - Princess or queen; Emily - Cheetah; Sam - Superman; Alex - Pumpkin; Anna - Pumpkin. Our cheetah costume was defiantly too small for Emily, so I found a cute velor "sweat" suit $9/piece in cheetah print for her to wear, and found a great classic Superman costume on eBay for $15 (including shipping).

When everyone changed into their costumes, Sam decided to wear his Buz Lightyear costume from 2 years ago; Becca had her heart set on being a vampire (what?! - it must be an 8 year old thing Kris and Renee?) wearing her witch costume and a quickly pinned and taped "grim reaper" cape of GR's; and we all felt with Alex's Diego obsession, that he really should be Diego - even though GR was going to keep him home with him to pass out candy instead of having him go around with the big kids.

They all looked super cute even with the last minute changes! And FYI - if you don't have face paint, washable markers work really well for painting on animal faces and fake blood.



Our friends the L's called Thursday night when their plans fell through, to see if they could trick-or-treat with us, and I'm so glad they did. The kids had a great time together, and I was grateful for some company! The weather was amazing, perfect for being outside. A mixed blessing. The sidewalks were full of kids and parents, but it kept the car traffic through the neighborhood to a minimum which was nice. On cold Halloweens, you can't get in or out of our neighborhood between 6 and 9 because the streets are packed with cars three across. The kids got great candy ... very little that they don't like or that I call "junk candy" and automatically throw out.

GR and Alex between the hours of 6:30 and 8 when the big kids got back in and we turned off all the lights, handed out ~200 pieces of candy. He did his best to limit it to 1 per, but wow that's a lot of candy!



4 comments:

Heather said...

would never have thought to use washable markers, great idea!!

Matthew said...

Glad everything worked out so well! Looks like they had a very
fun time.

Kristy said...

What a fun Halloween! All the kids look great.

Kris Farrar said...

LOVE the fake blood, I think Abby was going for a prissy girl vampire look, complete with high heals. I'm more of a fake blood kinda girl, myself. I wondered if maybe the whole Twilight thing could have trickled down to the little girls too.