Tuesday, November 04, 2008

All present and accounted for!

I didn't think I grew up in a hugely political household. In my poli-sci class in college, I felt I was at a huge disadvantage because I really couldn't tell you if I was a republican or democrat or if my parents were republican or democrat. Nor could I really tell you more than 1 or 2 things about what made each platform different.

Now that I'm a parent, I have realized that my parents taught me more than I thought about politics, namely the importance of being an educated citizen, weighing all the issues and making the most informed choice you can when voting. In turn, GR and I trying to teach our children a little at a time about our system of government and being a responsible citizen even at their tender ages.

As a kindergartner, Rebecca knew who the candidates were and I let her fill out and cast a ballot when the kids and I went to vote. Four years later, the kids are much more politically minded, having watched much of the presidential and vice presidential debates, and talking about the candidates in school and around the dinner table. We've tried to keep our over all views of who're in favor of to ourselves so the children could form their own opinions.

Last night as we were eating dinner and GR asked the children who they were going to vote for. We've asked the question many times ... or maybe it's more that they've answered it many times ... "Mom, who are you going to vote for?" "I'm still thinking it out." "Well, I'm voting for Obama!"

This time I decided to write down their answers for posterity sake, I guess.

Sam: Obama.
Why: "Because, Will told me that if I vote for McCain he will come and ruin our house."

Emily: Obama.
Why: "When I listen to his speeches, I thought they were better."

Rebecca: Obama.
Why: "Since I've seen all the debates, I like his ideas better. He's going to give health plans to everyone, but McCain's just going to give everyone a $5,000 credit."

Tonight we're going to watch the election coverage (on Comedy Central - GR refuses to watch it on any other station) while eating an All American meal ... hamburgers, corn on the cob, and homemade apple pie and chocolate chip cookies. And if I can pull it off, we'll take a small break and head to Ben & Jerry's for free cones (5pm-8pm - Thanks for the reminder Elspeth!).

3 comments:

Kristy said...

Darn festive dinner! I need to see what Jon Stewart is up to. Thanks for the reminder!

Camie said...

Yes, and Lydia is voting for John McCain because he has white hair just like hers!

joe said...

woah, becca has some good information!

this is how the election would have turned out if only your kids (well, people under 30) had voted.