Alex, Anna and I met up with some other mom's for a playgroup date at the apple orchard. It's been two years since we've gone apple picking. When Alex was a newborn, my family all got together for his baby blessing Labor Day weekend 2006. As part of the weekend festivities, we went apple picking - coming home with nearly 100 pounds of apples and 40 pounds of Asian pears. They were excellent and we used them to make all sorts of yummy recipes.
Today the little ones and I were not as ambitious. We held ourselves to only filling one bag with about 25 pounds of apples - Jonalicious, Fuji, Macoun and a few Jonagold. The apples are big and beautiful and delicious! All for $12.50/bag. After reading about Camie's applesauce, I'm tempted to head back with the whole family and try my hand a making applesauce, that is if I can get my hands on a free day and one of those magic applesauce machines.
First on my list of things to make is LaRee's Normal Apple Pie and our favorite Cider Pork Chops, and then I'm going to try making Sandra's apple cake. GR wants me to make a Dutch Apple Pie, but I need a recipe, so if anyone has a favorite recipe, please send it my way!
I took the camera, but the battery stayed on the kitchen counter charging ... so imagine a beautiful clear, crisp October day with a super cute Alex tasting each and every variety of apple we put in our bucket, and an alert little Anna strapped to my front in the sling enjoying the outing.
6 comments:
Oh how we love apple picking! My mother in law bought me one of those great food mills and we made applesauce. Oh man is it yummy! Lots of different types of apples makes for YUMMY applesauce with no sugar needed. LOVE IT!
Believe me--the hardest part of making applesauce is getting the apples and then cleaning up the mess afterwards. And it is SO worth it!
kathleen-
i've used macintosh for applesauce before and didn't need ANY sugar. All I did was peel it, and chop it. I think I used about 1/2c water for a pound or so of apples. simmer until apples become mush. it was SO easy and so good, sometimes we used cinnamon.
send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a recipe for dutch apple pie
my favorite dutch apple pie is made by my friend Marie. Perhaps you have heard of her, Marie Callendar? Ya, for about 6.99 you can get a yummy dutch apple pie, with the BEST topping! GR will be so impressed, and then the joke is on him when he sees the tin. You can just say, "Hey, I have 5 kids to take care of, that is the best I could do!" :)
Johnny Appleseed would be proud. Thanks for the fine visit last weekend and the great apple cake you sent home with me!
Post a Comment