As an incentive to the kids to read lots of extra books this summer, the library director, promised to eat bugs if the kids could read enough books to make a line of paper ants — representing 10 extra books each — go around the kids’ room, around the library lobby and back. Last week, while helping Sam get settled into his Kindergarten room, we got the news that the kids did it, they'd read enough books and the director was going to eat bugs at a bug banquet hosted by the library.
The banquet was yesterday afternoon and we all headed to the library to witness this feast. I think there were as many adults (library workers) as there were kids in attendance. The bug of choice, BBQ Millworms.
As you can see there were plenty, and the children were told they could try one if they wanted. Emily and Sam both tried one of their own choosing. Rebecca even took one - which floored me, my child who doesn't try ANYTHING new!, and promptly handed it right over to Alex who without even blinking put it right in his mouth. I think by the end of the program he'd eaten four or five of them, before I was able to get to him and say enough is enough.
3 comments:
ewww! I can't believe your kids ate them?! glad you got pictures to document it!
I tend to think of myself as fairly adventurous, but that is a bit far, even for me. Bravo to them for trying the bugs.
Kids do the craziest things! Wow.
Post a Comment