For the last two years Kira's birthday party has been on Sunday ... Sunday birthday parties happen a lot for our kids and it's always a sad day when we get an invitation to a Sunday party. Our solution for Rebecca and Kira is an after school playdate after the party.
When I asked Rebecca what she wanted to give Kira she instantly launched into explaining how Kira loves dinosaurs and that she wanted to make her a dinosaur pillow. Hoping she meant a pillowcase using dinosaur fabric, I asked for more details. No such luck, a pillow in the shape of a dinosaur. I'm a pattern girl, I'm not a make-it-up as you go, pull it out of my head girl by any stretch of the imagination. I need something to go off of.
Softies are hugely popular right now and I thought surely I would be able to find a tutorial or pattern on someone's crafty softie blog somewhere ... and although I found some seriously cute dinosaurs, the one free pattern I finally found was way more complicated than I/we wanted to get.
So I took a deep breath, handed Rebecca a large piece of paper and a pencil and told her to draw a picture of what she wanted for our pattern ... using pictures we found on Etsy and Flickr, and a few of Alex's board books as inspiration, along with the image she had in her head, she drew a great dinosaur. Together we enlarged it and simplified it, all the while praying it would turn out the way she wanted!
She cut out the paper pattern, she ironed the fabric and ironed on the interfacing, she cut out some of the fabric and she also did about half the sewing.
She also helped me turn it right side out and did most of the stuffing before we had to send her to bed. In all we worked on it for about 2-1/2 hours with me finishing up the hand work after she went to bed. She is very excited about giving this to Kira and is just sure Kira will love it ... oh how I hope she's right!
I've been informed that Sam and Alex both want dinosaurs!
5 comments:
WOW! Good Job Rebecca, it looks great!! I have an elephant softie pattern if you ever want to make one of them.
Awesome job, Rebecca (& mom)!
is becca getting an earlier start sewing than you did?!
How fun! C'mon. Who needs patterns with all the creativity in your house? (Have you checked out Amanda Blake Soule's book yet? I guess I'm assuming you know what I'm talking about - if not - I'll be happy to clarify. I'm reading it now thanks the the LPL - already inspired.)
Lori - LOVE LOVE LOVE her blog and her book is on my wish list. I'll have to check it out when you're done with it!
Post a Comment