Saturday, April 12, 2008

For some, time stands still

A month or so ago, as I stood in the foyer at church for the last 10 minutes of the day, holding a barely awake Alex in my arms, I watched 3-4 young mom's also bouncing babies and toddlers, chatting about their husbands in school and life, etc. And I realized, as an outsider looking in typically does, that to them, I was old. I have four kids, not one, but four; my husband isn't in school and well, I'm not in my 20s...

A little over five years ago, when I
was in my 20s, I taught early morning seminary for a semester. I loved it. It was one of the hardest and most challenging callings I've ever had, but I loved it. And although I taught for a much shorter period than I had hoped or intended, ever since I have quietly kept tabs on many of the kids who were in that class. Some I've lost track of, but many are doing well and making something of themselves in the world. They've gone on missions, attended college, and some are even getting married.



In fact, in the last 9 months, four of my "kids" have gotten married.

Friday was the most recent of my seminary students weddings. GR has been asked in the past if he would photograph weddings, and he's quickly turned them all down. It's too much pressure, the event is too important. And you can't retake anything if something goes wrong or you aren't standing in just the right place, etc. Maybe it's because he's known the groom for a very, very long time, or maybe it's because he was one of his young men, I'm not sure, but when asked, he said yes to driving up to Omaha to take wedding pictures.



The kids stayed with Grandma and Grandpa and we drove up Thursday night through pouring rain so we could scout out the temple grounds Friday morning for all the perfect picture taking spots. Friday morning when we woke up, it was snowing. The temperatures had dropped at least 20 degrees and the wind chill for the day was in the 20s.

We did the best we could to capture as many shots as peoples exposed arms and toes would stand ... not capturing nearly the number of shots we'd hoped or planned too had the weather been just a little warmer. But GR got some great pictures, despite the freezing drizzle and bitterly cold winds. And it was a beautiful wedding, with a beautiful couple, and brought back lots of sweet memories of our wedding.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

How fun to see a picture of so many kids I recognize. I would love to hear where they are and who has gotten married lately. I will have to e-mail you.

We got married in December I remember taking off coats and quickly smiling and then putting coats back on.

Michelle said...

i can relate to the "old" feelings...

what a teaser! who is that groom in the picture?

Kate said...

William is the groom. The others who have gotten married ... Melissa (July), Luke (October) and Adam are the others who have gotten married.

suz said...

around town i'll occasionally run into kids that i student-taught. it's hard to believe that those freshman are now seniors and will be graduating in may...

Amy said...

That sounds like a fun weekend. The picture in your post is great. And I don't have four kids, but I'm in the old club!

Katrina said...

Wait until your 20 year high school reunion (mine is this year!) then you'll really start feeling old! ;)
I LOVE that gals wedding dress!