Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Night with Girlfriends

It's been well over a year since I got together with girlfriends for an evening away ... I'm not talking getting together with girlfriends for something church related, I'm talking about the get togethers you have with girlfriends where you eat amazing food, and talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly that's been happening in life ... work, family, health ... you name it gets discussed. So when I got a call Friday night asking if I had time to get together with some other girlfriends starved for a night out, I instantly said I'd make time and then ran the idea past GR (bless him for not even thinking twice about it!).

Have you heard about the gourmet dinner clubs? Where friends get together, a specific menu is planned, ingredient assignments are made, then you meet at one persons house and make the menu together and then enjoy the meal.

That is basically what the five of us did, except we just had the head chef purchase everything and we all pitched in $5. So we spent a little over three hours together, making dinner together and chatting - it was glorious! Of the five, I am the least adapt in the kitchen - the other four are amazing in the kitchen, each with different strengths and talents. So the collaborative effort made for an amazing meal - and I don't have a single recipe (for shame I know ... be grateful I have pictures ... I'll work on the recipes).

The main course was a won ton soup - shrimp and sausage stuffed won tons, beautifully steamed shrimp, in chicken broth,
seasoned with ginger & green onion. While it was tasty, I think we all agreed we wouldn't make it again ... labor intensive and not hardy enough for our "meaty" men. The two appetizers were by far our favorite, super yummy and easy to prepare ... prosciutto wrapped asparagus - yum! And then little mini pizzas ... basically bruschetta with seasoned tomato, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese.

At the end of the night, we all agreed we should do it again, before another year or more passes!



4 comments:

Michelle said...

hooray for girls' night out! what a fabulous idea for a get-together! although, i have a really hard time believing that you were the "least adept" of the five in the kitchen...

Kristy said...

Looks like my kind of night! Glad you were able to do it ... you're way overdue!

Kate said...

Kristy the food photos were a little homage to you friend! Not taken with near the skill or creative eye you have, but homage none the less.

And Michelle, I wish it weren't so, but alas, it is. :)

Hugs gals!

suz said...

that soup looks really tasty. if you still have the recipe i might take the time to make it.