Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A special lunch date

The first grade teachers have started a new thing this year. Each trimester they are inviting all the parents in to observe their child's classroom during reading groups for about 30 minutes and then when the children leave for one of their specials, the teacher and parents will discuss the children's progress in reading, what goals the classroom has, as well as the individual reading groups and what we as parents can do at home to help our child be a strong reader.

For some reason I thought that being a stay at home mom meant I would be able to be super involved in my children's education and school life. And up until this year, I've done okay at being at least a small presence in the classrooms at school and preschool. This year, however, with a very little toddler and a preschooler going in the afternoons, not mornings, I'm learning it's going to be incredibly challenging to be involved in the girls classrooms during school hours this year.

When the schedule for this reading meeting came home Monday it had an explicit note saying something to the effect of "We're sorry but we simply don't have the resources to accommodate siblings. We're sorry for the inconvenience." the search started ... five phone calls later, so am I.

Do I really want to take my boys with me ? Are you kidding?! heck no ... I know exactly why they asked to have no siblings there ... parent orientation with all four (by myself) was a joke. There is a part of me, you know that part of you that thinks of Emmy not having her mom there tomorrow, that wishes I had the option - when all other options have been considered, tried and exhausted - of taking them with me ...

The boys and I are, however, defiantly going in for lunch tomorrow! That sounds like fun, and a good way to make both girls feel extra special! On the menu ... Bean Burrito or BBQ Ribbette Sandwich

3 comments:

Heather said...

aw, that is frustrating. I am starting to learn the challenge of being involved and balancing childcare of other kids too. A girlfriend watched EL on Monday while I went in and helped in the cafeteria.

Enjoy your lunch with the girls!

Lori said...

Kathleen - If I wasn't sick, I'd totally watch your boys for you! Major bummer. I think it's great by the way that the teacher is doing this...what a great way for parents to get an idea of what teachers do...and better yet, what your child does.

Kelly said...

Call me next time, K8. We're nearly always home & my kids would be over the moon to get to play with yours again.