In our family Sunday's can be a hard day to celebrate a birthday, but despite a full day, I think the kids and I managed to make it a special day of celebrating Papa.
While Papa slept in (a rare treat on Sunday mornings), the girls made special birthday art projects while Sam helped me make a special birthday breakfast of sausage and French toast. Sam is very quick to remind me every time I bring the eggs out of the fridge, "I am very good at cracking eggs, Mom. Grammy taught me! ... Let me crack the eggs, Mom, I can do it!" He cracked all 10 eggs for me and there wasn't a single shell! Pure perfection!
Last week when I asked GR what kind of cake he wanted it took him a couple of days to give me something more than "chocolate." Saturday night while we were out with friends, (more on that later) he said he wanted a chocolate pie ... any kind. So at 11:00 when we got home, I surveyed the kitchen and headed to the all night mecca of food and birthday stuff to see what I could find.
I came home with a Chocolate Fudge Torte as my - you can never have too much chocolate cake, back-up birthday cake and resisted the intense late night urge to purchase all things chocolate and passed up a beautiful, Boston Cream Cake and Chocolate Mouse Pie. I also came home with the "ingredients" to make an Oreo Cookie Pie which I managed to almost get assembled (thanks Love for finishing your pie so I could shower!) along with breakfast before dashing out the door for a Ward Conference.
GR's evening birthday celebration was very simple, and I'm grateful he didn't think it was too simple and feel slighted. For dinner we had one of his favorites - steak, mashed potatoes, sweet corn and glazed carrots - and our chocolate cake/pie sampler (both were excellent!). We also had a dinner guest to share in the celebration. For the last week, GR has wanted to have a friend over for dinner and schedules just wouldn't work out until today. And I'm so glad! It's always nice to have friends to share these little family celebrations with. It was a fun, simple evening with good food, good friends, good conversation and a healthy dose of the kids corny jokes. Here's a recent favorite:
What do the letter A and a mouse have in common?
Happy Birthday my Love!
3 comments:
happy birthday, gr!!
strange, why am i suddenly craving chocolate...
i feel so silly...i bought a card for gr, and it's still sitting on my table. i'll try to get it mailed out tomorrow, belated as it is.
Post a Comment