A couple of years ago our school decided to do away with school fund raisers ... you know the cookie dough, popcorn, gift wrap, candle fund raisers where you purchase $60 worth of stuff and if you're lucky your kids school gets 20% of the sale! So instead of all that, they have a family fun walk fund raiser where 100% of the money collected goes to the school. This year the girls were very excited about the possibility of collecting the most money in order to win a pizza or popcorn party for their classrooms.
Once we collected from the grandparents and of course us, we started to look to other places where we might be able to bring the girls a little extra cash for their school. GR wasn't comfortable simply asking his co-workers for donations, and frankly neither was I. Neither of our Dad's would take order forms to work with them, so why break the tradition now? But I know his co-workers enjoy yummy treats, and so I thought maybe just maybe if we made some treats and asked for a small donation, we might be able to get the girls a few dollars to add to their sponsorship envelopes. Last week we tested the waters with 11 of Alyson's Scones ... Cherry Chocolate Chip and Cherry, Golden Raisin with Orange Zest. By 9:30 they were gone, GR had collected nearly $20 and people were asking for more!
With the request for more, and the girls still a far cry from winning any kind of party for their classes, I whipped out three more batches of scones (Cherry Chocolate Chip, Orange and Golden Raisin and White Chocolate Apricot) and a batch of Monster Cookies for GR to take in this morning. Once again we asked $1.50 for each scone and $1 for a bag of three cookies. By 11 he'd sold 19 of the 24 scones and by the end of the day all 12 bags of cookies were paid for. So the girls now have $60 ... $30 each, to add to their envelopes for the school fund raiser. Can you believe it! I am overwhelmed by how generous everyone was and how willing they were to support the girls and partake of our humble treats.
And although I don't think their classrooms will win any grand prizes, they have had a good time with it, and they are planning their Thank You notes for Papa to take in and share with everyone who supported their efforts.
And I think I see a family pizza & popcorn party in our future ... picnic style on the living room floor.
7 comments:
Kathleen-Alyson's scones are worth every penny!! Those co-workers were getting a real deal!
No doubt! I paid nearly $4 for a pint of heavy cream! They are oh, so yummy! Humm I wonder how a plain scone would taste with Kristy's Kickin' Jelly?
That is a great idea. One I am going to remember.
what a fantastic idea! I love the thought of eliminating all but 1 school fundraiser!
Snacks at work for $, fabulous! I am mentally filing that one away fro later use!
cute pic! how exciting for the girls. and kathleen, i don't think that ANYTHING you make should be described as "humble" - you are simply very talented in everything you do!
I would buy those scones! They look delicious.
way to go, k8. if etsy doesn't work out, you should open a bakery!
Post a Comment