Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Ready for the fourth generation

I am finally giving myself permission to go and purchase a new small digital camera. You'll remember my last camera whoas last year ... well for the last six months or more display has not worked. An annoying quirk I didn't feel justified a $150 trip to Cannon (our last experience with sending cameras to Cannon proved to be an expensive waste of time and money). I decided I would wait it out and get my money's worth. Surely a year would be long enough, right? It's taken 2400 pictures, that's pretty good isn't it?

My brother laughs at my camera whoas. He doesn't know anyone who goes through digital cameras more than us. He says, "Kate, you're probably the only person who would be getting ripped off by purchasing the service plan option from Best Buy." So true ... we're defiantly going that route!

We'll it's been more than a year - what a nice discovery - and a few weeks ago I announced to GR that I'd been seriously considering purchasing a new little camera. And after downloading the pictures from the Cannon's memory card a few minutes ago I've decided it's time.

(Friday, July 13th) This was our road trip to Dave and Busters for an over the top lunch and afternoon of fun and games in the arcade. Diane wanted to do this as a last ha-rah to Elspeth's visit, and it was all that and more. GR took the day off work, Chris was in town to fly back with Elspeth and the girls, so the entire family was together.

We had a great lunch and then everyone headed back to the arcade ... wow! It's been nearly 20 years since I've played arcade games at Six Flags, I had a lot of catching up to do. Sam did really well playing skee ball, Emily won 150 tickets her first time on Speed Demon, and Rebecca made very consistent contributions of 50 tickets here and there to the family bucket. When it was time to go, we pooled our tickets, and thanks to a huge contribution of tickets from Grandpa Bob (2,000 or so), each of the 5 grandchildren had 600 points to go shopping in the prize shop.

Alex enjoying a chocolate milk shake:


Sam after getting an amazing score playing Skee Ball:


Emily and her 150 tickets from Speed Demon:


Sam riding a motorcycle game (Grandpa's helping him steer):


GR and Chris playing the game Bob played to rack up the 2000 tickets:


So you can see the camera isn't in tip top shape. I have manage to "fix" the lens cover and it's now opening all the way ... but I still think I'll be purchasing a new camera in the near future.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I went to Costco today and drooled over the Nikon D40x- comes with 2 lens's and will fit ANY other Nikon lens ever made. Darn that $979 price tag!

Good luck camera shopping! What are you thinking of getting?

Elspeth said...

Ok, I have some pictures from Dave & Busters I can share with you. The lens cover on my nice little digital camera works just fine (it's the version you recommended I buy about a year ago).

suz said...

my canon powershot has served me well for a year now. no problems so far, but i dont have four kids to kick it around either. i thought the pictures were cool looking, all of those diagonals- you could pass it off as experimental photography art.

Topher said...

I thought the pictures were kind of cool, too. Sort of mysterious and artsy, but I can see how it would be annoying come family picture, etc., time, unless there was someone you really didn't want in the shot. Then you could just blame it on the camera.