Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Birthday Boy

Sunday, Sam turned 4, and he starts our family string of 5 more birthdays over the next 6 weeks ... gotta love it! Lots of cake, lots of ice cream, lots of presents!

GR and I work really hard at make our kids birthday's special (what parents don't!?). But our family schedule the week leading up to Sam's birthday and the week after, made it difficult, if not impossible to have a traditional party with friends - something we're hoping we can have before the end of the summer. Weeks before, we started asking him what he wanted his cake to be, and we went from Bob the Builder, to Superman, to Baseball, and finally settled on Batman. And so the search for a Batman cake mold started. Apparently the caped crusader has fallen out of Wilton's favor, because a batman mold does not exist, unless of course you want to purchase a vintage one from ebay and Sam didn't really leave us much time for that option.

Saturday morning GR went shopping and got awesome presents for Sam. He is so much better at shopping for toys than I am. I spends hours and hours agonizing, searching for just the right things, and come home with some lame thing no real child would find fun, he spends 30 minutes and $50 and comes home with a ton of really cool, fun things Sam will LOVE!

Saturday afternoon I went in search of Batman party supplies - thank you party supply store for having SOMETHING for me to purchase!! In an effort to go a bit over the top and make up for the no batman cake and no party, I purchased a HUGE batman mylar balloon for him as part of his party decorations. I also purchased a little button for him to wear to church that said "Birthday Boy."



When we asked Sam what he'd like to have for his special Birthday dinner, he requested Pancakes (of course!) and called Grandma and Grandpa to invite them to join us. We had a fantastic meal ... stacks and stacks of sprinkle pancakes, sausage links, country potatoes, scrambled eggs and a huge bowl of the reddest strawberries.



After dinner we opened presents - Sam did the same thing with each package he opened. He'd open the gift, see what it was, then flip it over to the back and exam it ... I think he was doing his best to "read" the directions, study every picture, and figure out exactly how to use the new toy or game he got. He got a couple of great indoor/outdoor toys that involve things flying in the air, and three really fun new games - we've already played two of them, and are hoping to have time to play the third this week.



While Sam helped me frost the cupcakes he asked if they were for all his friends to eat. I hated have to explain that we hadn't invited friends ... then he asked where his cake was, and I had to explain that I made special batman cupcakes instead ... "you can make a real cake Mom" ... sigh. Thankfully, there were no tears and in the end he was very pleased with the colored cupcakes and the homemade Batman cupcake toppers. Just before sitting down to dinner we called one of Sam's good friends from church, George, to see if he and his family could come over for cupcakes and ice cream. Thankfully, they were able to join us and we had a great time polishing off a box of cookies and cream ice cream and 1/2 the cupcakes.



Throughout the day Sam got lots of phone calls from Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, cousins wishing him Happy Birthday. We tried to let him answer the phone as much as possible and it was so cute to see his face light up when he heard who had called and then say, "Thank you, Merryn," or "Thanks Grandpa Art." Just like a big kid.

Monday morning Sam and Rebecca both had well child check ups. For those interested, Sam is now 41.2 lbs. (75%) and 42.5" tall (90%). At this rate he grow to be about 6'1" - 6'2". Becca's stats are about the same ... 61.4 lbs (80%) and 51" tall (90%).

4 comments:

Matthew said...

Looks like a really fun party. I didn't know you could predict a child's end height at such a young age.... Makes me want to check for the girls.

Kate said...

If I remember correctly you double their height at 3 years of age and that's pretty close to what their height will be as an adult.

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday, Sam!

joe said...

That is the coolest balloon I have ever seen!