Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Nevada, Sunday & Monday

Sunday - Church with Grandmother and Grandfather. The kids thought it was super cool that all we had to do was walk through the garden, along a short (20 foot) path and we were at church! The girls really enjoyed their Primary classes, and were very excited to know we'd still be around Thursday for a Primary activity!

Monday - St. George for a Costco run, Grandmother had a doctors appointment and Grandfather wanted to stop in at a small kitchen store to purchase a medium size frying pan.

We got fruit, bread and some meats at Costco. Grandfather did an amazing job of getting everything that HAD to be kept cold into the large ice box he takes with him to Costco. The ice box takes up 1/2 the trunk, but still takes some skillful packing to get everything to fit.

Grandfather wanted to get a medium size frying pan for using when company is in town. There is a small kitchen store where he purchases honey and whole oats. Grandmother, Grandfather and I went in to purchase a frying pan ... we found the perfect one, it was the right size, had a glass lid, and was fairly deep - good for stir frying, frying eggs, or searing meats. Then I looked at the price tag ... care to guess how much it cost?

$105. That's right, $105. That must be some frying pan to cost $105.

The sales clerk came over to ask if I needed any help, so I asked: "Do you have any frying pans this size that cost less than $105?"

The look on her face, should have made me turn on my heels right then and there and walk out. SHE was obviously offended I had asked such a question. It was as if I had asked in a snotty, condescending tone, "Don't you have anything better than this?"

She half showed us one or two other frying pans, one for $80, the other $95. After this sad attempt at customer service, I asked Grandfather if he wanted to spend $105 on a frying pan, because I was pretty certain I could find a similar style frying pan at another kitchen store (or even Target for that matter) for less than $105. We left the frying pan for another customer to purchase, got a bag of whole oats and left.

Rebecca didn't pack her PJs and when she didn't get exactly the reaction she wanted from me, she made sure to have a private conversation Sunday with both Great Grandfather and Grandma Mutti to make sure we could make a stop Monday to purchase new PJs for her. So after lunch at Chuck-a-Rama (It's tradition, when ever we have lunch with my grandparents in Utah, we typically have it at this buffet style restaurant.) we made a stop at Target for PJs and a $30 frying pan.

The other stop we made in St. George was at the LDS distribution center. In the last 4 years or so, I've managed to loose three sets of scriptures. And I figured since I was in Utah of all places surely I could find a set of scriptures. I found a set at a Desseret Book and opted to have my name stamped on the front cover ... 45 minutes later, I was on my way.

As a treat for the kids being SO patient for me while I waited, and waited, and waited for my scriptures, we stopped at McDonald's for ice cream cones to eat on our drive home.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

There is certainly a bit of novelty to being able to walk across the street to church.

I've never heard of taking a cooler to the store with you, but I guess if you have a long way to go that makes a lot of sense.