Friday, March 30, 2007

Always have your camera ready!

This afternoon, after eating lunch and playing with Cheerios and cars in his highchair, I picked up Alex and discovered a red blotch on his forehead. At first I thought he'd gotten bonked by something ... making for a concerned and not so happy mama ...

My first inquiry of Emmy and Sam got me no where, so I gave them a little time to remember what happened on their beds. Sam came down to tell me one of his cars might have bonked Alex on the head, and that he was sorry. I took that as a reasonable explanation, (although I hadn't seen the bonk happen nor had Alex made any - that hurt - sounds), until another little blotch appeared above his eyebrow... I started to watch it intently ... I played back everything we'd done, place we'd gone, things we'd touched, eaten, sprayed, washed, that day, nothing out of the ordinary, nothing new ... and so, I started to take pictures of the blotches, just in case I needed a second opinion on whether or not this was serious.

By 3 pm Alex finally drifted off to sleep for his afternoon nap, and when I laid him down, I found more blotches, bigger blotches!

I changed the lens on the camera, took more pictures, and called GR for that much needed, calm down he's probably fine, and yes call the doctor just to make sure. I pilled everyone in the car, snapped one last picture of Alex, put the camera in the car, and called the Dr. in route - amazingly they had a 4:15 appointment. Alex cooed and played the entire drive, and wouldn't you know that by the time we got there (3:55) all the blotches were gone. Every single one of them, gone!!

But I had the pictures, with time stamps of when they were taken.



I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to take a pictures of my child and email it to my Ped, and say, Is this serious? do I really need to come in? is it worth the 45 minutes there and back for you to look at my child? I know this isn't practical, but ...

To my surprise, the Dr was glad I had pictures to show him! Looked at them, studied them and felt very confident to assert Alex had hives. He's also pretty sure Alex's body is reacting to a mild cold he has - odd I know, but Dr. says it happens. I also learned that since his hives were isolated to his face and neck, not all over his body it probably wasn't something he ate. So we're watching him, and when he has another outbreak (which he did after we got home from getting some dinner) we're giving him a bit of benadryl, and monitoring his breathing so we can jump into action if things change.

So I'll be taking more pictures of my kids weird bumps, and taking the camera with me to Dr appointments ... just in case.

8 comments:

Matthew said...

Wow, those blotches look painful. Good thing they cleared up so quickly. Are there other symptoms with hives, like breathing trouble and such?

Kate said...

There can be ... breathing, itching, discomfort, etc., but Alex hasn't had anything other than the hives.

Kristy said...

Isn't digital photography a wonderful thing?

Glad he's doing better with Benadryl.

Elspeth said...

So scary. I'm glad he's alright now.

Vatti said...

I think you should bring up with the doctor the idea of e-mailing pictures to go along with a phone call. Sounds like a good idea to me.

suz said...

the second picture of alex looks how my torso looked after i swam in the ocean at fripp island. the same thing happens to me when i exercise/sweat. i've determined that my problem is a heat rash thing....but i dont think that's what happened to him.

weird.

My Many Coloured Days said...

Incredible. I think you're on to something there though... perhaps an online Dr. you can send pics and footage to and get a diagnosis?!

Kelly said...

Yup, those are hives. ;) I highly recommend putting Benadryl bottles into a bag before you stick them in your purse, or buying the Benadryl softtabs which melt in the little one's mouth.

There's a lot of stuff pollinating right now. I'd wash all of the bedding and do nightly baths with hair washing for a while to see if that resolves the mystery.