Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Wait, wait there was more!

Okay, so you would think that given how the first three hours of Wednesday, November 29th had gone more really couldn't have happened ... there's a cap on the number of kinks a single day can have, right?

In Sam's preschool tote bag, I found letters from his Art and Music teachers as well as his room teachers giving notice that they will not be returning to the preschool after the first of the year. Things at the preschool have quickly fallen apart this semester. Earlier this month the director (a good friend and member of our church) decided to retire and with her retirement, 75% of the staff has decided to leave. So I spent 30+ minutes calling a handful of local preschools looking for an opening and calling other Mom's to see what their 2007 preschool plans were. The cause of the demise of one of the best local preschools and our plans for 2007 will have to wait for another blog post. Suficit to say this just added to my terrific day.

Shortly after lunch we got hit with a storm of a winter mix of freezing rain and snow - part of a system of cold air that moved across the central states dumping lots of snow on just about everything east of us for 200+ miles. Normally an ice storm wouldn't bother me ... add to it thunder and lighting and I find it pretty. That is of course unless I
have to take my kids out in it. Monday was Alex's four month birthday and this afternoon at 2:30 he was scheduled for his four month well baby check up. Under normal conditions it takes me 30 minute to get to the Peds office, with weather conditions like this, I left at 1:15, just in case.

The drive was slower than usual, but uneventful and we arrived at 2:00 - plenty of time. Despite being early and the office going into winter weather mode shortly after we checked in (meaning they were rescheduling the rest of the days appointments and shutting down early) we didn't get out of the office until 4, and didn't get home until nearly 6.

But the day did have some high points. There was no school Thursday or Friday and Alex is healthy and growing like a weed. He now weighs 14 lbs. 6 oz. (50%) and is 26.5" long (90%). And the Ped wants us to start him on cereal and fruits and veggies so at his next appointment in 2 more months he can start eating meats ... I'm so not ready for my baby not to be a baby anymore!

Here are some pictures from Monday ... note the last picture. Alex has discovered his thumb! I have my very first self taught thumb sucker!

6 comments:

Heather said...

he really is getting big! I miss the pretty-ness of the snow, but I sure don't miss driving in it. UGh, it sounds like snow really complicates life with kids.

Glad you made it to all destinations safely.

Matthew said...

Sounds like a very stressful day. I hope things get better!

Kelly said...

I was driving in that mess too. Did you see the car that had skidded off and up ended onto its nose and then flipped over? It was by the first turnoff on K10 heading east. I saw it when I was westbound coming back at about 5:45.

Kate said...

I did see that car about an hour earlier! Amazing and scary. I try to avoid that stretch of highway whenever possible because it gets icy so easily and no one seems to know how to drive in it...

Vatti said...

Wow, 75% of the preschool staff is leaving...

Mary Ann said...

Wow, I've never had a pediatrician do anything except encourage me to breast-feed a baby for as long as I could possibly do it. In Germany they kind of thought you were neglecting your baby to introduce solids any earlier than the one year mark. Strange how different various places are.