For Rebecca and Emily's birthdays Grandma signed them up for a two-day horse camp at a ranch in southern KC. They had an amazing time learning about the different parts of a saddle, how to brush a horse, clean a bridle and saddle, how to walk around a horse and how to ride a horse.
The camp was for 3 hours each day and they were with 7 other kids (1 boy and 6 girls). They broke the kids up into three groups of three... one group would ride, while the others did a craft or worked with the gear. All of them really enjoyed the camp, and we had beautiful weather for those two days (low 80s).
Sam really wanted to ride a horse too, so while the girls were at camp, I took him to the Deanna Rose Farm (about 100 streets north of this ranch) and he got to ride a horse too.
We're looking into places a little closer to home so the girls can do some more horse back riding. They were very upset when the camp was over and want to make sure it wasn't going to be their last opportunity to ride horses.
Here are pictures of the girls with their horses... Emily has Bob, Rebecca has Dapper and then there's a picture of the pony Sam rode at the farm.
After their first day, Becca and Emily insisted on taking an apple or carrots the next day to feed their horses. Since I didn't have any carrots, the girls took apples. Emily took two apples with her (I'm still not sure why) and when we got to camp, everyone had something to feed their horse, except the little boy - either he didn't hear he could bring something to feed his horse, or didn't remember to tell his mother - anyway I asked Emily if she'd be willing to let him have her 2nd apple so he'd have a treat for his horse and she happily agreed to give it to him. His mother was so grateful at Emily's willingness to freely give her son her other apple.
2 comments:
Oh How fun! I took lessons one summer just outside of the town you live in and remember it fondly! I beleive it was called Triple J Arabian something....I think my mom paid $30 a month and it was every wednesday night or something like that. But that was like a million years ago...Hope you find something close and fun for the kids.
i always wanted to horseback ride when i was a kid...mostly because i had a friend who did, but i've always had a bit of a horse fascination. glad the kids enjoyed it.
Post a Comment