Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Potatoes and Aquanet

Monday, 3 July 2006

GR's friend Dime spent the weekend with us for all the 4th of July festivities. Part of his goal this weekend was to construct a Potato Gun – something he’s been planning for years. He spent a lot of time researching designs and perfecting them, purchased the materials needed Saturday and then used Bob's workroom to construct the gun. Between the two of them, they got it working and this afternoon after testing it, they let us ammeters have a turn firing the beast. It was so cool!

Once they determined just the right amount of hairspray (aka accelerant) to put in, the potatoes were easily able to clear the tree line! I have video of Sam shooting the gun, and as soon as I find a way of cutting the size down a bit, I'll post it. So you can experience the sound of the gun going off, and the distance the potatoes traveled.


4 comments:

Jenny said...

A pregnant lady with a potato gun is definitely a force to be reckoned with!!

Deb said...

My brothers made potato guns one year and wanted to try other things besides potatoes. Things like apples, tomatoes etc. I think potatoes work the best. It was a little messy at times. They also got the idea to make a bigger one and do melons. I don't think they have tried it yet.

suz said...

try putting the video on youtube- it can support anything under 100 mb, and under 10 minutes.

Michelle said...

that is a picture to frame & give to your grandkids, kathleen! awesome!