Tuesday, 20 June 2006
I've been told I have an old spirit... Shannon meant it as a compliment... meaning I'm someone who (in this particular case) just knows what needs to be done and does it. Maybe that's why a year and half ago the stake presidency decided I should serve as the 2nd councilor in the Stake Relief Society Presidency. Most women who serve in a stake RS Presidency have children my age and grandchildren the ages of mine... try as I might, that simply was not a good enough reason to turn down the responsibility, and I've loved it ever since!
Last year as part of our effort to help bridge the gap between Young Women and Relief Society, we approached the Stake YW Presidency to see if they would like our help with some (we were hoping for small) part of girls camp. This has started a tradition of us putting on a mini fireside the Tuesday night of girl’s camp.
This year’s theme was EMT -- Eternity Means Today, and everything centered around medical terminology (Emergency Medical Team). With only a few days of preparation time, we knew we needed to do something fun and a little silly while still having a spiritual message with some meat to it. The idea was suggested we do a skit, more specifically, a surgery. What evolved was The Heavenly Autopsy Team ... a sister straight from Earth is "autopsied" to show the girls all the benefits of Relief Society. We started a the top of her head, and ended with her feet... pulling all sorts of things from her body to showing the benefits of being a faithful daughter of God and a member of the Relief Society.
Eyes ---- Water Pitcher --- She poured over her scriptures
Mouth – Mouthwash – never used profanity or said inappropriate things… spoke kind words about everyone.
Lungs – Balloon – When she meant business she could yell her children’s full names loud enough for the entire neighborhood to hear.
Legs – Running Shoes – anxiously engaged in a good cause.
Follow up:
After our little portion of the night, the girls finished the night with some camp maintenance... lost and found, awards for the day, etc. and then started on some camp songs. I asked my friend Beth (a member of the Stake YW Presidency) if the girls knew a camp call? Turns out years ago they did, but no one knew it now. She asked if I'd be willing to teach it to the girls and I said yes. We spent 5-10 minutes going over it and on Friday when I picked up the girls many of them still remembered the call and answer. I need to go looking for my old camp song book to find this call and answer written out... here's my best attempt and writing out all the sounds. Maybe my sisters can help me perfect the phonetics.
Call:
High low
Enny meany I ki-ki
Ooo chow chow
ooo wow wow
Ta u-who
Answer:
Heck-ta-min-i-ka In-i-ca-saw
Ta-boom Cha-la
Ta u-who
6 comments:
One of these days, I'm going to volunteer to chaperone (or whatever they call it) at a girls camp. Its so incredibly different than boy scouts that I want to see it for myself.
Yes... yes it is.
camp call? what kind of girls camp did you go to?!
We used to sing songs about kissing boys over cider and having a gajillion baby's!
This was your run-of-the mill Stake Girls Camp... it was something our ward camp director (Sue Lambson maybe) started (she may have even made it up) ... sort of a unifying thing for our ward back when we took 40+ girls just from our unit.
Anyway, if I remember correctly, it ended up being more divisive amoung the stake than intended... We'd call it out on hikes (front of the line to the back of the line), from camp site to camp site, etc. and we didn't teach it to anyone until a few years later, when it got "leaked" to the rest of the stake to keep girls from getting their feelings hurt.
sigh.....keeping feelings from getting hurt was the biggest thing that ruined camp for me...a camp without pranks was no camp at all. when my socks got syuruped in the middle of the night, i didnt cry- i took it with a grain of salt and planned my light-hearted revenge. i think what happened is that the camp leader's daughters got really offended/hurt by something, so she banned pranks of any kind. thereafter we were only aloud to do 'cute' pranks like 'heart attacks' (covering bunks with paper hearts) or leaving cookies on the doorstep....
anyway, kate, you got the camp call right as far as i can remember- except i'd subsititute
eeee chow chow
oooo wow woo
and
ta boom ta la
ta you hoo
but it really all sounds the same from 100 ft away.
oh puhlease, it wasn't girls camp if someones bra wasn't strung up the flag pole!
Post a Comment