Monday, June 26, 2006

Picking your battles

Friday, 9 June 2006

After we got the baby bird delivered to the nature center, we rushed home to finish packing a lunch to take to the zoo. Innitially we had planned on going yesterday (Thursday), but playgroup was schedule to go to the local wadding pool, so we opted to do the wading pool and wait to do the the zoo today.



Sam and I are working on becoming more independent. Picking out his own clothes and dressing himself are part of this - you're nearly three, you can do this, effort. This morning I asked him to pick out a t-shirt and pair of shorts to wear. As she typically does, Rebecca offered to help him. A few minutes later, he came downstairs in his Incredible's pajamas. These are NOT the pajamas he went to bed in, nor are they the pajamas he woke up in.

For a good hour, I tried and tried to get him to pick something else, explaining that it was going to be HOT at the zoo, and his pj's were not going to be very comfortable. He would have NOTHING to do with changing. I finally decided it simply wasn't that big a deal ... heck on Tuesday there was a girl at library story hour wearing her Cinderella dress-up dress. So, I swallowed my pride, put a t-shirt and pair of shorts in the backpack and we went to the zoo.




We had a great time at the zoo. And met up with two other families from playgroup that mentioned they were also going to the Zoo today. We saw about 1/2 the animals this time around, had a great picnic lunch and then rode the train. Every child on the train got a chance to blow the whistle, which they LOVED.

As we rounded the bend to see the Elephants I passed a mother who said ...

"Sometimes it's just easier to let him stay in his PJs?"

"Ahhhh, no." I said, "He actually slept in something completely different. That's what he choose to wear today."

7 comments:

Elspeth said...

At least they were really, really cool pajamas.

Michelle said...

i agree - and at least he has the nerve to sit on the big potty - now THERE'S a battle (ongoing in my home)!

Heather said...

HA! Great story, See Sam is developing his independence! Preston has clothes issues too, he is very picky about what he wears and is adamit about what he WON'T wear.

p.s. Can't even tell youa re pregnant in the pic! Kudos to you!

Mary Ann said...

What fun!

I've had to catch myself quite a few times saying "No" without a good reason. I guess I mean saying no only because whatever it is the kids want is something an adult is socially restricted from doing. Why can't Stella put her feet in public fountains? Why can't Danielle gnaw on a crayon? Why not wear Pajamas to the Zoo? I think I need to let my kids enjoy their current freedom from adult social constraints.

In this case however, you had a good reason--too hot for long sleeves/pants. But you handled it so well! It was very good that you brouht along an alternative for him.

Jenny said...

What a great mom you are!! Now this is a day YOU will never forget!

My Many Coloured Days said...

Good Mommy! We have the same pjs at our house and they are worn day and night - but only out of the house for special occasions (like Halloween or over to a friend's house we know really well!) - not the zoo! Good for you!

suz said...

in the picture of emmy with a goat, you cant see the goat body so it looks like she's holding up a severed goat head....